Shoal Lake Whitefish report...brutally cold day

limeyangler

i All,

Hit Shoal Lake with Glen, Terry, Mark and his girlfriend and my buddy Lew.

Unlike last year there was not really an iceroad...going was bumpy, i got stuck at one point too. First spot we hit seemed like it was gonna be a banner day. before everyone had a line down Mark's girlfriend got into a nice fat 4lber. I dropped my transducer down the hole to watch my jig greeted by 3 large whitefish signals chasing my jig all over the water column with one committing to bite after 30 secs......then nothing! Even the hundreds of tulibee and perch on screen which hit hard last year would not touch anything sent down the hole....strange ???

After a few hours at that spot we hit the next spot...slightly deeper at 60'FOW......not even much bait fish on screen...i had a couple of whities follow my jig....no takers. Mark's girlfriend cooked a ground beef and beans concoction which was simple but freekin' delicious and Snakehunter set the bed of his truck on fire making burgers for evertyone which were equally tasty and well received on a brutally cold day.

LUNCH......HOT FOOD ON A FREEZING DAY.....AWESOME!

P1220136.jpg

After about 2 more hours we were about to pack up when Mark's girlfriend landed another whitie...we decided to stay but after no repeat customeers at the holes we headed to another spot. This time slightly shallower in around 40'-46' FOW. Right off the bat i got a couple of nice fish...around 4-5lb. Then Lew got into one for his second of the day. All this time the others were not getting a thing...and save for a jackfish i landed some 45 minutes after the last whitie that was it fish wise for the day. It was brutally cold and windy but fun as usual, we all decided to hit that lake again IN THE SPRING WHEN ITS NOT SO FRIGGIN COLD!

The conditions were not conducive to filming but i got a few of the fish landed on video...........

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mtiVNzMXZQY" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Edited by limeyangler

*SMILES*

You guys have BALLS! Big ones.......

Way to brave the cold.

Thanks for the report.

LOL...big balls are overated and slow you down in the slush!

Seek and destroy. Nice size whities...should make for a good feed.

thanks for that buddy.

Cheers

Yeah RC...made my shrimp,clam and whitefish gumbo/jambolaya type soup/stew thingamabob....real tasty!

Well done, at least you got some fish, I didnt want to venture out on the ice this weekend, maybe tomorrow!

It certainly was cold....but i have to go out regardless of the conditions...this is an addiction after all!

You did well considering how cold it was. Nice work.

Thanks Aaron, its due to get colder still in the next 2 weeks, getting myself ready.

Nice to see the reports Simon, thanks for taking the time.

Your very welcome solo :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Where is shoal lake

Its part of LOTW near Kenora, its the west side of LOTW and crosses the province border into Manitoba.