atvs and snowmobile

beginner

atvs and snowmobile, do I need a license to drive this type of machine? do i need an insurance too?? I have to ask OFNers because most of you drive one..

it comes to mind because I was tired of walking in the snow back and forth.. and its easy access for me to ice fish..

thnx

bfisher

This is what's required for snowmobiles. Not sure about ATV's. :dunno:

Licensing

Anyone 16 and over who has a valid Ontario driver's licence, motorized snow vehicle operator's licence (MSVOL) or a licence from another jurisdiction is allowed to drive a snowmobile across a road, on roadways where legally permitted and on trails. The Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs issues the MSVOL. To get this licence, you must successfully pass a snowmobile driver training course. Contact your local snowmobile club to obtain more information about the MSVOL program or visit the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs website*.

If you do not have a driver's licence and you are 12 years of age or older, a valid MSVOL, or a licence from another jurisdiction authorizing you to drive a snowmobile will allow you to drive on trails. Drivers must carry with them at all times their driver's licence or MSVOL. Failing to produce either of these documents to a police officer or conservation officer when requested could result in a fine of up to $1,000.

The Motorized Snow Vehicles Act is the primary piece of legislation that governs snowmobiling in Ontario. To view the MSVA and other Ontario laws and regulations, visit www.e-laws.gov.on.ca.

Contact your local snowmobile club to obtain more information about the MSVOL program or visit the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs website.

Registration and Insurance

Before driving a snowmobile, it must be registered with the Ministry of Transportation. If you are operating the snowmobile off your own property, the registration must be valid and you must have liability insurance. Carry both the registration permit and the insurance card with you when riding. Failing to produce either of these documents to a police officer or conservation officer when requested could result in a fine of up to $1,000.

Helmets

Everyone who drives or rides on a snowmobile requires a helmet that meets the standards approved for motorcycle helmets. Everyone who rides on a cutter, sled or similar device towed by a snowmobile must also wear a helmet.

Edited by Old Man

This is all I could find on ATV's.

Licensing

You need a valid Driver's License to legally drive an ATV in Ontario. Ontario honours Driver's Licences issued by other jurisdictions. Additional permits may be required by some trails.

Insurance

In order to ride Ontario's trails, you must have insurance for your ATV.