Simcoe ice conditions

alphaalpha

Anyone know the thickness of ice on the deeper areas. I am thinking about heading up there tomorrow and was hoping to go for lakers/whiteys but I am not too brave when it comes to thinner ice. Should i just stick to perch/pike for now and give it more time to thicken up?

Any advice here or via pm would be greatly appreciated.

-Alphaalpha.

Was out late yesterday in 85 FOW at IBP, 5 inches of black ice with 1 inch of white on top of it. Only to manage few 8" perch and a herring. All but one perch survived to be caught another day. The one that didn't was the one I brought up too quick and I think it got the "bends", it went belly up in the hole and never made it back down.

Anyone know the thickness of ice on the deeper areas. I am thinking about heading up there tomorrow and was hoping to go for lakers/whiteys but I am not too brave when it comes to thinner ice. Should i just stick to perch/pike for now and give it more time to thicken up?

Any advice here or via pm would be greatly appreciated.

-Alphaalpha.

Last sunday there was 3 inches on the trout grounds out from beaverton (woodmans shoal), so I bet there might be a few brave soles taking their machines out there this weekend....but I think most of the folks are waiting till next weekend.

Edited by Daryl Cameron

BE CAREFUL

Walked out at innisfil beach this morning. Talked to a couple of guys coming in, Shale type ice west of Fox, one guy chipped thru 3 inches west of Snake. Bear Point area 4 to 5 inches of MILKY ice. A 30 plus year local parked his machine at the edge and walked out to the centre. Approx. 5 inches but some spots fluctuated between 4 and 6, but again not black ice. This again was in the Bear Point area.