Can someone explain this in the NHL

Cudz

You have coached a lot of rep hockey and I have played a lot of rep hockey. Not pulling the goalie when you are down by 3 with just over a minute left does not mean that you are a quitter.

The difference between 5-1 and 4-1 is 1. But losing 4-1 sounds like you might have been in teh game, 5-1 not so much.

Plus it makes the goalies GAA increase when they get pulled.

empty net goals do not count towards a goalies GAA.Admitting defeat before the game is over is quitting.Playing hard to the end will build character. Not wanting your players to give up because of the score means as a coach who must do the same.

empty net goals do not count towards a goalies GAA.Admitting defeat before the game is over is quitting.Playing hard to the end will build character. Not wanting your players to give up because of the score means as a coach who must do the same.

Maybe you can show me on my post where I said empty net goals count toward the GAA. Can you find it? I said pulling the goalie increases the GAA. Read carefully. There is a big difference. I will explain later if you can't figure it out.

Well if we are going to use your logic, then tell me why don't we see teams pulling the goalie when they are down 4 or 5 goals? By not pulling the goalie dies it mean that they have given up? Pulling the goalie does not mean that you are trying harder. Building character. More than 90% of teh time when a goalie is pulled the result of the game remains the same. A win for the team that was ahead. The other 9+% of the time a team might tie it up when they are down by 1 goal. That % is greatly reduced when you are down by 2 goals and I have yet to see a case (especially at the nhl level) where a team has been down by 3 as the leafs were, not on the power play, and come back to tie the game.

I am not sure how failing 100% of the time whilst down by 3 goals and attempting to pull the goalie builds character. At the end of the 1 min 30 seconds you will still have lost and probably even lost worse. NOT PULLING THE GOALIE (When your team is down by 3) DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU HAVE GIVEN UP, it means that on that day your team just wasn't as good as the other.

And just for the record. I have coached rep hockey, Senior boys' soccer, Senior Rugby, Football, Senior boys Baseball, Senior Boys Volleyball, Senior boys' Basketball, senior level swimming, Cross country running and senior level track and field.

I have also played AAA hockey and University football, University Rugby and club Rugby in Australia, England and Dubai. I am not a quitter and have never been on a quitting team. Building character does not come from playing hard to the end. That shows character. If you are in the pros (which is what the original post is about), you had better already have character.

Here is an example of how the NHL calculates GAA. If the goalie plays a whole game and allows 2 goals, his GAA for that game is 2.00 for that 60 mins. I am pretty sure you understand this. Now lets say we pull the goalie with 1 minute left in the game and he has still let in 2 goals so far. He has no longer played a full game. He has played 59 minutes but has still let in 2 goals.

59 mins is only 98.33% of a whole game. Because he gave up 2 goals in 59 mins, his GAA is 2.03. Even if the other team does not score, the goalies GAA still increases. Does this make sense now?

take care

Cudz

congrats on the coaching background ,hopefully your players were able to develop charcter when you threw in the towel. Wilson believed they were still in the game and refused to lay down which is a good sign to his players that he believed in them,kudos to him. I played Jr. hockey my son now plays Jr. i coached AAA for 5 years so I can appreciate what Wilson was doing and would of done the same myself,even thou I hate the leafs I love when a coach coaches to the final buzzer no matter what the score.

congrats on the coaching background ,hopefully your players were able to develop charcter when you threw in the towel. Wilson believed they were still in the game and refused to lay down which is a good sign to his players that he believed in them,kudos to him. I played Jr. hockey my son now plays Jr. i coached AAA for 5 years so I can appreciate what Wilson was doing and would of done the same myself,even thou I hate the leafs I love when a coach coaches to the final buzzer no matter what the score.

Never threw in the towel, ever. I just finished watching the NFC game GB vs ATL. Under two minutes left and a 4th down to Atlanta who are losing and they...................wait for it..................punt the ball. Their coach Smith, might be coach of the year. Too bad they threw in the towel. He deserves to be fired!!!

PS Did you understand how a goalie's GAA can increases if he is pulled?

Edited by Cudz