New guy- Tiller or SS?

Landlocked

A pirate walks into a bar with a tiller sticking out of his pants.Bartender asks whats up with the tiller in his pants...Pirate say "Haarrrr its drivin me nuts"!By the way Spiel and Roy are both pirates of sorts...

Joe

I have owned and fished out of both tiller and console. I do prefer the console though for boat control in rougher water at higher speeds. I also found that you have better visability of the water you are approaching when you are that much more forward in the boat. As for space in the boat, the SC has never been a problem.

AL

wow alot of tiller guys.... I have a tiller boat and I am dying to get a nice console boat.... I saw a boat show the other day with a 14' KEY west Centre console that made get on the phone with the bank then I snapped out the dream world I was in. I am all about a nice walk around. two casting decks live well the boat is just SWEET...

Oh here we go again I started the last thread on this one.

Well yes I like my tiller for boat control ,fishing walleye trolling and having one hand free to hold my fishing rod.My previous 16ft boat had a full wrap windshield since it was not a fishing boat it did not have alot of room.I sold that boat bought a 12 foot tinny which I used for one summer which I kept for camping.This little tiller is what made my decision when I bought my next boat.

There are times I wish I had a full wrap windshield fishing boat because I now fish from April through November.Could use that windshield in November.

If I buy another boat it won't be tiller eventhough I really enjoy the tiller control.

Having a roof would be great.After waiting all winter for opening day of fishing sometimes just having to fish in the rain becomes torcher when its only 10 degrees.So the next one will be full wrap windshield with a roof.Side console is good because you have alot of room.

I don't get tired with my tiller on a long haul maybe the reason is my boat is 18.5ft long and has the power trim.One thing for sure you can't turn sharply at high speed with a tiller or you risk losing control 50hp has a good kick to it when turning sharply at full throttle.I think when where and time of year you fish should help you decide.If I had the money I would have both.Good Luck :dunno:

114196.JPG

114483.JPG Mikethepike what happened to you being a tiller man and would only ever own a tiller?I think you are getting soft .For the amount of cold days that you wuold actually need a roof compared to the warmer days I will take my tiller hands down.Even in December it does not bother me.As far as not being able to take sharp turns I think that is mostly in the type of hull you are running.Yes you have to be a little more carefull with a tiller I will agree.But if you use your boat with common sense there is no problem.I use my 16 ft with a 50hp 4 stroke out on Lake O with no worries.So I guess you can figure my vote is tiller.Dan Edited by PERCHER