First Summer Trip Saenchiur Flechey or Marten River Lodge

carpe146

Happy St Patty's Day All,

I've been following the board for a while now, but this is my first post. So I guess before I get to my question I'll give you a little background. I'm 21 a graduate of Michigan State and a current Michigan resident. I grew up fishing on the chain of lakes in Jackson Michigan catching mostly Largemouth, Perch, and the occasional Carp. I've never been to Ontario before, but I'm in the process of setting up a trip for the family this summer for 6 people and am leaning toward going to either Saenchiur Flechey or Marten River Lodge. None of us are by any means fishing experts, but we would like to go up and catch some decent sized Northerns or Musky.

I hear there are no Musky in Marten River, but if the Northern Fishing is good we really wouldn't mind. So I guess my questions would be has anyone out there stayed at either or both Saenchiur Flechey or Marten River, and which would you recommend? Also, we are planning on heading up the first couple of weeks of August, how is the fishing that time of year and would there be a better time to go? Any tips for Northern and Musky gear and tackle to have with us? Thanks in advance for all the help and Good Fishing!!!

I've been giving deep thought to whether I ever caught a pike on Marten River...spending probably 6 to 10 days there, in two to four stops, each year for about 7 years straight before buying the place in Temagami. It finally dawned on me while putting the milk away a couple minutes ago that the pike picture on the fridge, that my son blew up (the pike only so you could see it! LOL), was taken at Marten River in the shallow channel directly East of the bridge on #11. Not to say they're not there....but I sure haven't gotten into one to remember there. Walleye and Bass seem to be the more abundant species. Here's my best 'eye from Marten River...July 2002 and my "big" pike. While loading these in I found that my daughter indeed caught a bigger pike than mine and the other daughter got into some bass.

Like darn near every lodge in the North...Marten River Lodge is for sale...and that only means it will be clean and ready to entertain happy guests in hopes one of them wants to change their life style and stay as the new owner.

Fished Marten river lodge about 5 years ago. Some small wally's and 1 half decent pike 37" around 9-10pnds. Because there are so many lodges in that area the water is heavely fished. If I were you I would look to another area if it's your first time coming up here as we don't want you going home dissapointed.lol. Good luck with your search.

Cheers,

1leg