Thunder Bay

kbc

I was just wondering if anyone on the board has fished much up around the thunder bay area i just moved up here for college and i was looking to find some walleye hotspots. I don't really have alot of time due to a heavy course load otherwise i would figure it out for myself. so if you have any info feel free to share thanks.

Are resident expert on Thunder Bay is DanC, I'm sure he'll chime in when he sees this.

I did fish with him on the river right in town (can't remember the name?) for walleye, while we didn't get any they are apparently in there.

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT AM I Chris?????????? :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :lol: :lol:

The river is the Kaministiquia River(the Kam), and lots people fish it from shore under the Hwy. 61 bridge with jigs and minnows or worms, or trolling the river from a boat upstream of Bowater up to the Fort. There are a couple other spots below bridges or offshore upstream between Thunder Bay and Kakabeka Falls(Harstone bridge has a nice rapids below it). Also, upstream of the falls, there are a couple of roads that bring you down to the river near rapids. You have to walk into them for a short bit, but fishing can be good on the right day. Walleye, bass, and pike are the norm.

The Dog River can be accessed out Hwy. 11/17 west past Raith. A couple of the roads cross or end near rapids to fish from shore if you do not have a boat.

Hazelwood can give up some Walleye off shore, but mostly small perch. But in winter you can walk out and get into bigger perch, some walleye, and whitefish also. That's if you ice fish.

If you have a car you can also try east of thunder bay just at the highway at black sturgeon. Right under the bridge there is usually some pretty good action. You should stop into D & R sporting goods on Memorial by the Boston Pizza and talk to some of the guys in there, they should be able to let you know where they are biting. You can also check out thunderbayfishing.com, there is some info on there and you can talk to some people on where to go. In the spring the McIntyre/Neebing (the neebing runs through town and into the McIntyre) gets a good run of steelhead and runs right by the University. The mouth of the Current River I hear is pretty good for pretty much everything from pike to steelhead but I have only fished there once. Good luck and enjoy it up there, I have only been away for a couple of years and already want to go back!

Swany

thanks for the replys. I have a little 12 foot tin boat so i guess that could help me out a little as i won't be restricted to fishing from shore. I will definately be looking forward to ice fishing this winter and hazelwood sounds like a good place to start. thanks again for the info.

kyle

thanks for the replys. I have a little 12 foot tin boat so i guess that could help me out a little as i won't be restricted to fishing from shore. I will definately be looking forward to ice fishing this winter and hazelwood sounds like a good place to start. thanks again for the info.

kyle

Just remember to check the regulations on wherever you go. Hazelwood Lake is a conservation area, and does not permit any outboards, gas augers, or snowmobiles on it.

Also, and I have not recently checked the newer regulations, tributaries into Black Bay along with the bay itself and the Black Sturgeon have a zero walleye limit. There is a rehabilitation effort underway to restore the population of walleye in Black Bay. You would have to check the regs to be sure.