A crappie laid an egg in the sink

Kwan

Curious about ice fishing. I bring walley home frozen solid from laying on the ice. Put them in the sink and as they thaw they start kicking again? I guess that is a no-no too?

you would be fine, Laws are made and most always have a grey area this is why your intent is ussually the deciding factor in a trial to prove your guilt.The real intent of this law is to stop fish from being transported alive and released into another body of water, which could be a disaster to the ecosystem of the body of water the fish is releasd into.The MNR is not going to bust people for fish flopping around on a stringer when it's clear the intent of the person is to go home clean them and consume them.If they started doing this they could fill up a court room for months after one good day of perching on Simcoe.

Walleye, crappie, perch and bass are always dead when they leave the lake, but I have had catfish make it home alive (cut gills and on ice)....sometimes you cant kill those things!

PRETTY SURE THAT AS LONG AS ITS NOT SWIMMING AROUND IN A LIVEWEL, THERE WOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE WITH THIS....sorry fir the caps..im at workrolleyes.gif

Live fish are live fish. You have to prove yourself in the court system. The officer could care less what you have to say. It's the sad truth of it really.

Here's an example for you that happened to someone I know last year. He was checked by the mnr. They looked in his live well that was empty. They found a somewhat live Goby in it that a pickerel had puked up.

He was fined for having a live Goby in his possession.

You would have assumed differently but the sad reality of it is that they can and will charge you if they see fit.

Transporting a live Goby is a big NO-NO perhaps the reason for the charge, but if what you say is true then perhaps if the charge is was taken to court it may have been dismissed.

An officer cares very much about the interpertation of laws,when they go into court to prove a charge there reputation aswell as who they represent is on the line. The officer better make sure he has a good case, the crown does not want to waste time on useless infractions.

Guest gbfisher

PRETTY SURE THAT AS LONG AS ITS NOT SWIMMING AROUND IN A LIVEWEL, THERE WOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE WITH THIS....sorry fir the caps..im at workrolleyes.gif

caps are ok....lol but pretty sure won't cut it. :D

As for live perch in the bucket on Simcoe...that can get you a fine as well if you were pulled over with them flippig around in a bucket with or without water in it.

As buddy just said. They can live and swim even after being frozen and the MNR knows this just as you do. ;)

Guest gbfisher

Transporting a live Goby is a big NO-NO perhaps the reason for the charge, but if what you say is true then perhaps if the charge is was taken to court it may have been dismissed.

An officer cares very much about the interpertation of laws,when they go into court to prove a charge there reputation aswell as who they represent is on the line. The officer better make sure he has a good case, the crown does not want to waste time on useless infractions.

no water...didnt know the goby was even in there..it would have dried up....

again...I love the assumptions but they are just that and you can and will be fined for transporting live fish be it goby....or perch from simcoe as I just said in the post above lol....but hey...it'll be your fine. :D

The charge was dismissed but my point here is that you have to go to court to prove yourself and that by itself is pure CRAP....lol all this to prove what I said in my first post.... :rofl2:

Edited by gbfisher

Curious about ice fishing. I bring walley home frozen solid from laying on the ice. Put them in the sink and as they thaw they start kicking again? I guess that is a no-no too?

SIGH......as long as they are not swimmin in water, they wouldnt bother you........

It's not an assumption,to prove your intending to transport fish alive the CO is going to need evidence that this was the intent, a few fish floping in a cooler will not provide adequate evidence to prove your intent is to break the law.However if you have adequate things to keep these fish alive while transporting then those would be seized and provide evidence that your intent was to transport live fish. Any judge in Ontario would throw the CO out of his court room if he said I saw a fish flop in a cooler so I busted the guy for transporting live fish, and any lawyer worth a grain of salt would have a field day with this CO

clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

You have to prove yourself in the court system. The officer could care less what you have to say. It's the sad truth of it really.

Innocent until proven guilty

Seriously though, I've seen a CO twice in my life, both times he just smiled and waved. My impression was that this CO perceived me (based on gear/whatever) as highly unlikely to be breaking any offense, so he chose to spend his time more wisely. Sure enough I walk downstream and he's hiding in the bushes, video taping some snaggers.

Through my experience with CO's, they certainly didn't come off as power-crazed ticket machines with a lust for finding any possible way to screw you over, like this thread seems to imply.

(Don't group yourself with the white bucket brigade by bringing home live fish though :whistling:)

yer pretty sure ahout that eh....lol clapping.gif

no, i just don't think that MNR officers are mindless dummies who are out to ticket and fine everyone who makes the slightest mistake.They are there to catch the idiots who show no respect for the environment nor the sport.They have been trained to recognize these do no gooders by reading there body language and assesing their answers to questions and taking a fast inventory of the equipment used by the angler.Most have the same training as police officers to a certain extent.I once looked into what is needed to become a CO.They are very well educated in law, and have excellent people skills.

Maybe i'm too idealistic, but i like to think that if you show respect to an officer of the law, it goes along way in saving your a..s....s

These officers are there to educate and protect the environment.Not harass us for transporting a live fish flopping around in your trunk.

can they??? hell ya. Will they??? depends on your attitude.

Guest gbfisher

no, i just don't think that MNR officers are mindless dummies who are out to ticket and fine everyone who makes the slightest mistake.They are there to catch the idiots who show no respect for the environment nor the sport.They have been trained to recognize these do no gooders by reading there body language and assesing their answers to questions and taking a fast inventory of the equipment used by the angler.Most have the same training as police officers to a certain extent.I once looked into what is needed to become a CO.They are very well educated in law, and have excellent people skills.

Maybe i'm too idealistic, but i like to think that if you show respect to an officer of the law, it goes along way in saving your a..s....s

These officers are there to educate and protect the environment.Not harass us for transporting a live fish flopping around in your trunk.

can they??? hell ya. Will they??? depends on your attitude.

Keep thinking the way you do and see where it gets you. No one said the mnr were mindless dummies. Read my first post and see if that helps you any. There are some who like to know their rights. Your attitude should not enter into the law. :rolleyes: Defending yourself against ambiguities is my point here just in case you missed that part... :D The MNR are not both judge and officer all rolled into one. crying to them will not help much.... ;)

Guest gbfisher

Innocent until proven guilty

Seriously though, I've seen a CO twice in my life, both times he just smiled and waved. My impression was that this CO perceived me (based on gear/whatever) as highly unlikely to be breaking any offense, so he chose to spend his time more wisely. Sure enough I walk downstream and he's hiding in the bushes, video taping some snaggers.

Through my experience with CO's, they certainly didn't come off as power-crazed ticket machines with a lust for finding any possible way to screw you over, like this thread seems to imply.

(Don't group yourself with the white bucket brigade by bringing home live fish though :whistling:)

What experience? You've been looked at twice.... :)

What experience? You've been looked at twice.... :)

Those were two times that I personally encountered a CO. Many people fish their entire lives and never see one.

My point stretched beyond myself, and to accounts from countless friends of mine who all had the same thing to say. Either way, this thread is getting derailed quickly. CO's are not fish-Nazi's. Moving on...

Guest gbfisher

Those were two times that I personally encountered a CO. Many people fish their entire lives and never see one.

My point stretched beyond myself, and to accounts from countless friends of mine who all had the same thing to say. Either way, this thread is getting derailed quickly. CO's are not fish-Nazi's. Moving on...

huh,,,,sounds like a great deal of personal experiece.

Some people never see the MNR in their lives?? Those kinda people don't fish much and most likely will not have a good run in with the mnr when they do. At least where I fish anyway.

Again. The point here is that you can be charged with Bulcrap fines regardless of your experience. :good:

Moving right along...at a snails pace... :D

Edited by gbfisher

don't let him get to ya, he's our resident cage shaker.The know it all......i mean All Knowing angler.

Guest gbfisher

don't let him get to ya, he's our resident cage shaker.The know it all......I mean All Knowing angler.

cage shaker. :rofl2: ..

Give yer head a shake. Who's getting to who here?... ;)

i must say this year alone i have been stopped around 10 times... maybe its just the lakes i fish or what.

I always have all my necessary gear/licenses etc so i never really have a problem with them, im not looking for trouble and havent had any really "pick on me" as of yet. i have had some pretty thorough checks though.

my experience with them thus far is relatively easy going.

i do have to agree with gbfisher on some of his points, it would be nice if the regs were more clear in certain areas.

Guest gbfisher

i must say this year alone i have been stopped around 10 times... maybe its just the lakes i fish or what.

I always have all my necessary gear/licenses etc so i never really have a problem with them, im not looking for trouble and havent had any really "pick on me" as of yet. i have had some pretty thorough checks though.

my experience with them thus far is relatively easy going.

i do have to agree with gbfisher on some of his points, it would be nice if the regs were more clear in certain areas.

This year alone I was pulled over at least 20 times by the OPP/MNR.

Up to 3 times in the same day and up to 7 times though a week. I know them by name and say Hi to Bruce each time. He knows I have done nothing wrong and have never been charged with anything. It's their job and they do it well but...it still leaves each and everyone of us open to a fine because the laws are ambiguous in so many ways. I'm sure there are lots of experienced people on this site who know of charges given out...why?...because they can and did for all the wrong reasons.

This year was a easy one. The total time taken from me fishing in prime time was close to two 5 hours at 15 mins each time. <_<

Guest gbfisher

The know it all......i mean All Knowing angler.

That's "All knowing Goby catcher" and by this time next year you to will be one as well. Not bad for a year and a half eh?? :)

This year alone I was pulled over at least 20 times by the OPP/MNR.

Up to 3 times in the same day and up to 7 times though a week. I know them by name and say Hi to Bruce each time. He knows I have done nothing wrong and have never been charged with anything. It's their job and they do it well but...it still leaves each and everyone of us open to a fine because the laws are ambiguous in so many ways. I'm sure there are lots of experienced people on this site who know of charges given out...why?...because they can and did for all the wrong reasons.

This year was a easy one. The total time taken from me fishing in prime time was close to two 5 hours at 15 mins each time. dry.gif

What i can't figure out is HOW do you enforce such ambiguous regulations??? if it goes to court, how can a judge rule on something that has more than one interpretationblink.gif I'm so paranoid now i'll have a hard time fishing without lookin over my shoulderdunno.gif It's already so bad i can't watch football.When they go into the huddle, i'm sure they are talking about me.huh.gif