Fishing Destination Based On What You Read

asdve23rveavwa

Fishing Reports  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How many people here base their fishing destination on what they read on forums such as OFN?

• Yes, always
    • Yes, sometimes
    • No, does not affect my decision

In this electronic age, news travel fast. Between forums such as this, cell phones, blackberries, etc. It doesn't take long to pass on where the fishing is hot. Thus you find more fishermen in less spots...higher pressure. I'm curious to see how many OFNers base their decisions on reports they read.

If it's just a day trip within a few hours reports on here (or anywhere) have little impact on my decision. I've usually got a plan in mind already. Plus I enjoy exploring new areas anyhow. Many times I'll pass over spots I know are productive just for a change. Also I like to make own call on how good the fishing is, my definition of a good day fishing may be much different than the next anglers. I'd rather hike miles, fish in peace and catch a couple fish than pile into hot spots and catch more.

However when going on a longer trip it's always nice to get a little info to get you started. When you're paying good money to go to a lodge it's nice to get some feedback from someone who's already been there.

Edited by timmeh

Today, I am a lake fisherman, when I was heading for a Trout or Salmon run, I paid more attention to stream condition reports.

My belief is that the best time to fish is when you can, and the best place is where you can. Therefore, I don't worry about what others have experienced.

I have often heard negative reports from people coming off the water and had a fine day myself.

You get what you expect most of the time...

I expect to have a good day!

That being said, if someone told me they were finding fish shallow or on deep weeds etc; I might look there first.

Garry2R's

Today, I am a lake fisherman, when I was heading for a Trout or Salmon run, I paid more attention to stream condition reports.

My belief is that the best time to fish is when you can, and the best place is where you can. Therefore, I don't worry about what others have experienced.

I have often heard negative reports from people coming off the water and had a fine day myself.

You get what you expect most of the time...

I expect to have a good day!

That being said, if someone told me they were finding fish shallow or on deep weeds etc; I might look there first.

Garry2R's

Some very good points...fishing, like most things in life, comes down to approach. Go with a positive attitude and confidence and more often than not you will succeed.

Usually have the spot picked first, then go to the boards to search for any info/tips from people who have been there.

^^ This.

I primarily fish local waters and if I pick up tips around here that's bonus. If I'm going to a new body of water (Sometimes from a fishing trip, camping trip, etc.) I'll use the search function here first and see if there's posted info about the lake.

Edited by Governator

For all my week long trips I do as much research as I can. Most of my information comes from message boards in the US because most of the places I want to visit are frequented by Americans. Unfortunately, it hasn't really helped as the last few places I went to I probably wouldn't return. The internet can be VERY misleading, especially resort/lodge websites.