Rainy River fishing derby

Guest Manitoubass

Guest Manitoubass

Well, over the past 10 days or so, the walleyes are still biting great! We managed to keep enough for the winter feeds, which me and the family do every year.

We fished all sorts of different conditions during the 10 days or so, didn't really seem to matter much though, we could catch fish any time, from all my spots. Good times, probably reeled in about 50-60 eyes over 27inches, but so far the big fish is about 30".

We had a local fish derby a few days ago as well, conditions were very tough, up to 60kmh wind gusts! lol. The turn out was pretty good, about 20 people, plus another 20 or so to watch. I decided not to use the boat, but to fish from shore with my son, and so the wife could sit and chat as well. So turns out, we are the only two fishing from shore. The derby was only from 1-5pm, but about 3pm I landed a eye I knew was gonna have a chance to take the cake. Up to that point, many fish were caught and measured, but the big fish was a mere 22". I got mine measured in at 24 3/4", good enough to win for the day and take home $540 first prize!

Good times.

I've also had some time to experiment on some new baits for walleye fishing as well, and some pretty funny rigs seemed to work quite well. The most surprising was probably a black 6" salted worm, rigged wacky on a jig.

Guest Manitoubass

I really need to get out with you next time I'm up there! Congrats!

Agreed, lol. Anytime.

I'm gonna keep fishing hard up till the end of November, now it's the search for my pb walleye. I'm hoping to get a 15lber this year

Edited by Manitoubass

Guest Manitoubass

Nice! A win for shore fishermen everywhere!!

haha, for sure!

I'm gonna take the boat out tomorrow though, I got an idea for some larger walleye, so I'm going to go try it out, hopefully I'll check back with some great pics!!!!