Water turnover ?

splashhopper

A few questions:

1) Is there a definite temperature that the turnover happens at for inland lakes?

2) Is it different for different sized lakes and lakes that are spring fed vs river fed?

3) Does the turnover happen in rivers as well?

4) I am guessing that downsizing and sloooowing down the presentation and in to the deepest areas is the way to go or is it ?

Thanks

Splashhopper

from what i've read rivers are far less likely to experience turnover than lakes. currents tend to mix the temperature layers all year. I imagine where rivers widen and become basins,they may be affected , because flow slows down, but nothing i've found on the internet suppports this.

Primarily, rivers and streams differ from lakes and wetlands because they

have current. Current, in turn, results in regular changes in the physical structure of

the underwater environment, and leads to more even distribution of oxygen,

temperature, and nutrients. (from the following study)

http://www.sci.uidaho.edu/bionet/biol116/O7/presentations/T1L3P2_Distribution_of_Organisms_II_with_text.pdf

1. No many factors influence this including water temps of the particular lake, wind, depth, and others.

2. yes as per #1 every system is a little different

3.River generally do not turnover unless the have the necessary conditions for the water column to stratify (very slow current, and sufficient depth). The lower stretch of the Grand is an exception in that it can stratify (but even then it's usually only for short periods and will therefore not experience turnover as in lakes).

This doesn't mean that turnover doesn't affect river fishing though. Stretches of river downstream of a lake or reservoir that does see fall turnover can be significantly affected.

4. Not necessarily, it depends what you're fishing for.

Edited by timmeh