Thanksgiving 2010 fishing was

splashhopper

Geesh, I finally get a little desire to go fishing again and was welll, shall we say UNDERWHELMED ! :huh:

Loaded up my food and sleeping gear for the van and headed up to my latest favorite fishing river for pike and bass.

Being self employed, I take 4 day long weekends and left Friday morning to avoid the traffic. Put the cruise control on 85 km per hour and drove through THE WORST DAMNED MANURE LADEN stretches of highway found north of London ! :w00t:

I was laughing my ass off the on the way up just remembering how my buddy, Dutchy- the city boy :P , reacts to this. We would drive home through this and he would have me laughing so hysterically that I would have to put the van's wipers on to clear my eyes! lol

Friday afternoon WAS GREAT PIKE fishing. Except for the first cast!

I tied one of my favorite lures on with a 12 inch 30lb steel leader. Tossed it across the river, slooow slooow retrieve and, SWOOOSH !

LIMP LINE :wallbash: WTHeck ?

Well, at least I know the bite is on. And it was.

I caught 3 pike on that stretch of river. Nothing too big, but fun all the same. Took a walk up river a 1000 yards further than I usually do there and was pleasantly surprised to discover another long deep dark bottom stretch. Might take the canoe up there next Sunday if the weather cooperates.

Since I had made plans to meet up with a friend in a nearby town, I packed my gear up and went to a conservation area to do some late afternoon and pre-dusk fishing.

Was I ever glad I did that... The bite was on.... again, nothing big, but plenty of action.

I decided to do some trolling for the first time in my little canoe and was pleasantly B) surprised at how relaxing that can be after a day of tossing lures.

Just as it was getting dark, I caught caught two pike back to back in less than 10 minutes. Whoo hooo....

What a great way to end the day, or so I thought until I went to get the 5 inch Husky Jerk out of the last pikes yap and I didn't have a jaw spreader with me :w00t:

Yep, you guessed it, two real good slices on my left pointer and saluting fingers ! :(

Here is the toothy lil bugger that did the damage:

Eveningpiketroll.jpg

( no flash on my new blackberry sucks,, a guy took that pic in front of the headlights on my van for me)

I went and met my friend for some soup and a bagel at Timmies and had a good couple of laughs for an hour or so.

Then I headed up the coast to do some shore fishing. Not to be.

I was plain POOPED. Crawled in to the back for a "nap". Woke up at 6 am to the sound of other fishermen arriving. I crawled outa the van to a river almost lined with fishermen. I was outa there and back up the deserted conservation area real quick.

Guess what?

EAST WINDS ! :devil: I never have much luck in those winds and in short, I didn;t this Saturday either.

On a positive note though, Dutchy along with JJCanoe and his son showed up for some fishing. None of us got in to any decent bass, but APPARENTLY JJ caught a couple of nice pike trolling on MY LAKE ! lol

Oh yeah, Dutchy caught a pike too :P

So Saturday was all but a bust for me.

I headed home late Saturday afternoon and was in bed by 9 pm... done,,, pooped,, bagged.... fried.... kaput!

Sunday morning I picked Dutchy up to take him to a new place i "discovered" this summer. I have caught some great LM bass there and was hoping for the same yesterday.

It wasn't to be. EAST WINDS again ! :o

No worries, I was out on the tinnie with Dutchy and he was sitting in "the leaky end" of the boat :lol:

Serves him right, he is a PSYCHO FISHERMAAAN anyways >>

DutchyisaFISHERMAAAAARR.jpg

Yeah yeah yeah, I KNOW,, we held the fish close to the camera to MAKE >>US<< FEEL BETTER ! LOL

AS YOU CAN SEE, THE LEAVES WERE EVERYWHERE and it was tricky fishing those NEW waters for us.

We did get in to some BIG bluegills though and made some mental notes for ice fishing ;)

All in all, it was good to get out on the water with my fishing buddy in such a beautiful settings this weekend.

Dutchyfallfishing2010-1.jpg

DSC02916.jpg

Cheers

Splashhopper and Dutchy