Better late than never? 7/16

TC1OZ

Well.. the reason for the late post is I just received my fishing camera back from a new acquaintance. We met on a local fishing board, but he is not local to my area. He really wanted to try Jordan Harbor trolling for bows but didn't want to do it alone.

I said I have never done anything of the sorts myself, but can drive a boat so he can do all the work on rigging the gear.

It was a neat experience for me as I am new to these types of fishing. I've fished from a boat many times, but never used a down rigger setup.

We were doing some ghetto down rigging from what I can gather (as I don't know too much). One setup was using a Dipsy Diver to get us down about 30 feet trolling a basic spoon, as well as a Jet Diver that took us to about 45 feet from what I assume.

The day started around 4:30 AM when I finished my midnight shift (real reason I forgot the camera in his boat). So instead of going home to sleep I went fishing!

There was the tail end of the storm moving through, we just waited it out in the van.

The sun was just starting to poke through the clouds around 7:30 and we were on the water marking tons of fish!

dsc06617m.jpg

Tyler was kind enough to give me the first fish as it was my first time! It hit the spoon just before the clock struck 8!

dsc06618h.jpg

I forget the weight so I'm not even going to attempt to guesstimate!

Tyler landed the second fish around 11 am....

dsc06621o.jpg

We were marking TONS of fish but clearly not getting the pattern right. We started off in about 50FT of water and just kept trolling back and fourth. We packed it up shortly after 11:30 as not sleeping for more than 24 hours was starting to get to me!

We were going to get together again but our schedules never matched up so he just mailed my camera back! hahaha and now I can post the pictures!

Thanks for reading!

You could sell that first fish as a chrome accessory on a truck. I haven't downrigged for steelies yet...looks like fun.

Once the hook sets and the reel starts screaming... it gets the heart going! LOTS OF FUN!

I'd love to go out and do a charter if anyone's looking to group up, but its pretty easily done on a 16 foot tinny as well!

Edited by TC1OZ

Guest Johnny Bass

Great Report. River fishing for salmon is one thing but when you catch them in open water, you get to really appreciate the power of a salmon!

Great Report. River fishing for salmon is one thing but when you catch them in open water, you get to really appreciate the power of a salmon!

Never been! I hear they are coming in the Upper Niagara and the creeks running off of that... but I'm a complete noob. I'd love to tag along and learn how to river fish for one of these bad boys!

But the open water salmon were really really powerful! I'm sure I would of lost it if it weren't for this fancy drag system on the rod... He just said "keep reeling, it fights the fish for you" hahaha. :clapping:

Great report and pics TC1OZ :thumbsup_anim:

I bet you can't wait to go back out :whistling: Congrats :clapping:

Thanks for sharing

Leechman

I'm dying to get out again! It was so much fun! I wanted to share it when it was more fresh in my mind and I remembered what lures we were using... and weights of fish! But oh well! I'm just glad he actually sent me my camera back!

But... if he didn't I still have the camera I won from Dave over @ Facts of Fishing....it's no boat, but better than nothing! hahaha.