Reel Maintenance

thatleetboy

Well, I went down to the base of the Scarborough Bluffs this morning to try practice casting a little.... it was crazy beautiful, with big salmon and trout jumping out of the water all around me....

Not that *I* got a bite, of course.

I also learned that I need to get some new boots. Apparently rubber boots with no tread on the bottom can be pretty darn slippery on wet, algae covered rocks! I did have a nice swim though.

Anything special I need to do to the reel that got dunked in the water? Just let it dry out, and put some oil in the port in the side?

?

Heh, sounds like an iffy outing, but you know what they say: a bad day of fishing beats . . .

For starters, some reels are better than others when they get wet - the Shimano Stradic is top of the line for not seizing up. It's also one of the best reels out there (my fav by far), you could get one of those and not ask this question again.

When my other reels seize up, here's what I do. I take the spool off, whipe the black stuff off the central bar with a kleenex, and leave it like that for awhile. Then I apply some grease and you're good to go.

Any reels that I own that seize up don't stay seized for long and I haven't ever had to leave a fishing excursion because of it.

It WAS fun, and a beautiful morning.

The reel hasn't seized up, it worked fine, I kept fishing for a couple of hours.

I'm just wondering if there are any preventative steps that need to be taken.

Reel was a Shimano Sahara 3000FD, if that matters.

Cheers

Guest jaeteriusZero

I wouldn't worry about it too much since Sahara is one of Shimano's higher end reels... so it must be washable. I have a Saros and I wash it briefly in the dishwasher sink everytime after I go out and wipe it off. Even though your reel did took a dunk into the water, I would remove the reel from the rod, remove the spool, the drag knob and handles and let it dry out. If you want to get paranoid take out the drag washers inside the spool and clean them up. Performance of the drag hinders when wet, that's why higher end models tend to have a rubber sealing on the drag knob to get water out.

Just make sure that you are placing the reel upright when you dry it out, you don't want to get any water/contaminants on the spool shaft in the rotor, because that could damage the anti-reverse system...

After everything is dried just use reel oil to the places where you insert the handles and the maintenance port (if that model has one).

The most important question of all is that if you're ok? Rocks can be sharp, reminds me when I damaged my nail and cut my thumb after a slip up at Elora.

Edited by jaeteriusZero

I wouldn't worry about it too much since Sahara is one of Shimano's higher end reels... so it must be washable. I have a Saros and I wash it briefly in the dishwasher sink everytime after I go out and wipe it off. Even though your reel did took a dunk into the water, I would remove the reel from the rod, remove the spool, the drag knob and handles and let it dry out. If you want to get paranoid take out the drag washers inside the spool and clean them up. Performance of the drag hinders when wet, that's why higher end models tend to have a rubber sealing on the drag knob to get water out.

Just make sure that you are placing the reel upright when you dry it out, you don't want to get any water/contaminants on the spool shaft in the rotor, because that could damage the anti-reverse system...

After everything is dried just use reel oil to the places where you insert the handles and the maintenance port (if that model has one).

The most important question of all is that if you're ok? Rocks can be sharp, reminds me when I damaged my nail and cut my thumb after a slip up at Elora.

Thanks for the detailed list... I have taken everything apart, and it is airing out, doesn't seem to be any water inside it at this point, so I guess there is something to be said for quality. I'll put it back together in a day or two, and give it a squirt of reel oil.

I am fine, thanks for asking. Makes you understand how important a good set of footwear is, and that even a PFD/vest might be a good idea, particularly if one fishes alone. I did bruise my shin, and my ego a wee bit. As I hauled myself out of the water, I noticed a group of people had rushed out on the patio of the Yacht Club across the channel to see if I was OK. I tossed them a wave, and a hearty laugh at my own folly.

I had been slipping and sliding on the rocks all morning, and it was only *after* my swim that I looked at the soles of my rubber boots.... no tread to speak of. I don't know how I kept my balance as long as I did!

Ah well.