Fall Musky

cowanjo

I have had incredible success this season, but fall has arrived and for some reason I normally struggle. I spent 9 hours over the weekend tossing lures, not even a follow! I though Karma after towing the Ohio guys would have made me get a nice one but to no avail.

My technique - troll believers jointed 20 -30 feet slow at 3 mph. Cast which i did this weekend

I would love some help and advice, I fish Pigeon lake. Thank you for the help.

I dont need spots just some ideas to try!

John C

• 2 weeks later...

I have had incredible success this season, but fall has arrived and for some reason I normally struggle. I spent 9 hours over the weekend tossing lures, not even a follow! I though Karma after towing the Ohio guys would have made me get a nice one but to no avail.

My technique - troll believers jointed 20 -30 feet slow at 3 mph. Cast which i did this weekend

I would love some help and advice, I fish Pigeon lake. Thank you for the help.

I dont need spots just some ideas to try!

John C

John, I can't give you me secret spots because I am hoping to get up a few more times this year but I would suggest the following:

1. Troll faster. This time of year I do generally try and slow down a little (In the summer I often troll at 6-7 mph) but I would suggest trying 4-5 mph. I also troll with believers and they troll really well at high speeds. I usually start the day off going fast to cover more ground. If they are not biting then I slow down. Everyone will tell you to go slow this time of year but they will still chase something going faster than 5mph. Try and troll along drop offs and as close to shoals as you safely can (If you don’t have a GPS then be very careful with this). The believers will hit bottom when you are in less than 15 feet at these speeds, this is good, the action of the lure hitting bottom seems to trigger the fish. Just make sure you use a heavy duty leader (JB's fishing depot).

2. My best casting spots on Pigeon are all on shoals and rock ledges. The fish seem to hang right on the drops waiting to ambush anything that swims above them. I use believers or spinner baits and run them fast over top of these areas.

3. Points! There are a number of points on the lake were the weed lines extend out 100 metres or so in the shape of the point. I work the edges of these weeds slowly with a glide bait or jerk bait.

I hope this helps. We got 5 muskies when we were up there this weekend. I will try and get a post us later with pics.

Edited by Whitemikeca