walleye rod

walleyejack

If on a budget, would check out the Shimano Volteus (sp?) or the Clarus. I think the Volteus goes for maybe $50 and the Clarus goes for $65. Personally I would pick the Shimano Clarus. If you want to go all out, get the Shimano Crucial or Cumara, only 1 pieces though I think.

Mind you, almost any St. Croix is good too. Good luck on shopping.

Edited by Hooked

Guest LivingLegend

Ur best bet will be to go out and check it out in stores, all these rods sound great but now you must decide what feels best for you, I have the shimano cumulus yet i wont say it the only rod for walleye, lots of choices so may the force be with you............dry.gif

There's a St Croix Avid 6'8" Medium power, extra-fast action rod on the classifieds for just over $100. I'd get that in a heartbeat if I were you. I makes a great jigging stick and it carries a lifetime warranty. Plus you can upgrade to a higher grade rod later on as st Croix has a step-up program.

Guest Johnny Bass

with all this talk about this rod is more sensitive than that rod, I was wondering if anyone has ever done an independent study on the actual sensitivity on rods. From my understanding the higher the graphite content the more sensitive the rod, hence IM6,7,8,10.. Am I right about this. Also when you throw the no stretch line in the mix does that make how sensitive a rod is over another a mute point? What does everyone think?

Yes, the higher the graphite the more sensitive and the less stretch the line has the more you can feel whats going on at the other end of the rod. I also find one piece rods are better than two piece for detecting light hits.

I agree that a one piece rod is better than a two piece.

even though today's ferrule design is 1000x better than it used to be, even on the high end two piece rods, the one piece version of the same rod still fishes better.

it is lighter, casts better (better transfer of power as it is one continuous piece) and is slightly more sensitive (again, because it is one piece of graphite).

the only disadvantage is that it is not good for air travel.

but even a 7 foot one piece rod will easily fit into just about any car (I used to drive a small volkswagen golf and had no trouble), so unless you are flying somewhere, get a one peice rod smile.gif

Edited by 12 Volt Man