NF: habitat destruction

dagoat_1

I hope some of the fine folks on this site who have direct links to the MNR/Oceans and Fisheries may be able to help me out or offer some educated suggestions.

A freinds property is next to a few island owners that park near shore and get to and from their islands. The area is a Marsh that has no more 12" of water and islands are about 100meters from shore. The marsh is not his but part of main body of water and definatly a navigable right of way. Their method of access has been Argos for the past 10yrs or so and basically they have created paths about 2 argos wide to these islands. The marsh bed is completely tore up as well as all plant life. If i check google earth views the damage is huge. This area is a huge spawning ground for Muskeys, Pike, Largemouth, Carp and numerous panfish. Not to mention Migratory Birds. Does anyone know what legistation this falls under? How do we get anyone to visit the site and see the damage for themselves? Who ever they speak to, basically receive unsatisfactory answers or its not their responsibility.

Any advice would be appreciated, you can PM as well.

Thanks...

What watershed is this in? I know that if it was in the GRCA watershed they would express an interest. If you can identify and contact the watershed authority that will be a start. I remember a similar thread this spring on either this or one of the niagara boards - I will see if I can find that and send you the link - unless someone here beats me to it.

What watershed is this in? I know that if it was in the GRCA watershed they would express an interest. If you can identify and contact the watershed authority that will be a start. I remember a similar thread this spring on either this or one of the niagara boards - I will see if I can find that and send you the link - unless someone here beats me to it.

South-East Georgian Bay

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

the only question i see being raised is whether or not there is another viable option as far as accessing their cottages. it wouldn't be fair to deny access either.

the only question i see being raised is whether or not there is another viable option as far as accessing their cottages. it wouldn't be fair to deny access either.

Good point. As they are islands, the other side is all deep water where they have docks and boats. It would mean they would need to find another access point and boat over.