Cold front/late summer bass?

Guest Manitoubass

Guest Manitoubass

So, it's getting late summer, early fall is coming. I've been fishing relentlessly all spring/summer with great success. This is my second summer living besides the Rainy River, so I'm still learning alot about this body of water. Right now a cold front has rolled in, the past 2 days have been lackluster, other than a few big boys, the bite is slow. The water levels went down quite abit in the last few weeks as well, and I'm not liking that, most of my go to spots are not too shallow and clear to contain alot of bass.

I've been using everything from jigs and various grubs and soft baits with little success, same with spinner baits, also jigs and live bait. So far a few hawgs have been landed on 6 inch worms, texas rigged. I've used every color under the sun as well.

Anyhow, I'm interested in getting some ideas/input from the OFC community. Like any good angler, I'm never fully satisfied, and need to catch those big boys through Sept. before the walleye become the main target.

Thanks in advance for any input

I find bass in cold fronts seem to bite just as good but some of the worst things that happened to me this summer were sudden changes in wind direction. All the hot spots on the small lake I fished turned up 0 bass when the wind blew North. Although there was only 1 or 2 days this summer when it happened the fish were on structure I never caught them on before. As for cool times I never saw any really but bass did change bite's from topwater frog to deep water jig fishing.

I would slow down and fish the edges of the weeds for the bass. They will tuck their selves inside the edges I found.

Guest Manitoubass

thanks for the tips...

I've used various retrieval speeds, and have found little difference, keep in mind, heavy current prevents a really slow retrieval.

Most of my hotspots there is little vegetation, these bass use rocks for main cover, for the most part.

It's really slowed down this week, normally a few hours fishing will produce 15-30 smallies, with about half of those 3lbs and up. The bite is usually fast and constant, as they feed often because of the current.

Now, its slowed drastically for this week anyhow, but the bigger fish will bite, it just takes more patience, and in a few hours, 3-4 fish is pretty good. Now though they all seem to be 4+lbs