Public boat launch at Wolesley Bay

splawik

Hello gents,

As silly that might sound here it is.

I’ve been going to the French River for almost 20 years, almost every weekend. Hartley Bay and east of 69 I know like I was born there, but this weekend we decided to move the boat to the Wolesley Bay. I’ve been there few times but always used the rental boats or launched at the resort that we stayed at. This time around, I’ll be joining my friends that are staying at the Pine Cove but for whatever reason I can’t launch or keep my boat overnight there. The question is, is there a public launch or resort that will allow me to launch my boat at the first light on Saturday?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sam

The launch at Wolseley Lodge is a public launch. Wolseley Lodge will charge for parking if you are not actually staying there. Maybe you can arrange to launch there and have one of your buddies drive back to the lodge.

I'll be heading to Wolsely Lodge in just over a week.

Edited by Rich Clemens

Thanks a lot.

I've got a cabin on the east side of 69 and for that reason I stopped venturing out to the other areas. Any "hidden surprises" in the area out in the open? here on Dry Pine Bay we're about 2 feet down from the usual levels.

Thanks again.

The launch at Wolseley Bay may be interesting. Just out from the launch, between Wolseley's main dock and Totem Point, which are directly across from each other, is a nice sand bar. Either have to stay close to the docks or circle out around on the Totem Point lodge side. Not sure what it looks like now with the water levels down the way they are. I checked in with the Lodge a couple weeks ago and the owner reports no problems launching boats. Mine is 17' and he said they have been launching boats bigger than mine. But, you may still have an obstacle to work around - there at the launch. You will need 4-wheel drive - the launch is basically sand and pebbles. Seen a couple folks get stuck over the years.

Once launched, stay toward the center of the bay and you should be fine. The closer shore ya get - the more you have to be careful. But, this is typical for the French River Area.

I'll be taking it easy for a while when I get up there. Some rocks/shoals, I know where they are. But, with water levels the way they are, I'm sure I'll find some new ones. Just like I did when I was at Lakair in June.

Good luck and make sure you jump back on and let us know how ya did.

Just a quick note, Just out of Wolesley Bay in the North Channel just east of Wolsley Bay there are 3 huge rocks coming up within a ft of the surface. Last year these were under 4ft of water and held small mouth. Now they will rip your prop off and are unmarked. Just so you know, if you go straight out past Shangri La cottage and turn left be careful. The water had to be down 4-5 ft when I was there in July

Bill

Edited by fishingBill

Just a quick note, Just out of Wolesley Bay in the North Channel just east of Wolsley Bay there are 3 huge rocks coming up within a ft of the surface. Last year these were under 4ft of water and held small mouth. Now they will rip your prop off and are unmarked. Just so you know, if you go straight out past Shangri La cottage and turn left be careful. The water had to be down 4-5 ft when I was there in July

Bill

Hey Bill: Where abouts are these in the North Channel. I come out of Wolseley Bay and swing around to the right - making basically a U-turn to heard down the North Channel. There is a cottage there and you round the point. I know off this point, just past the docks, there is a big shoal right there that jets out. Gotta take this turn wide in good times. Is this the area you are referring to ? Thanks

No, that's not it, you are going south out of Wolesley Bay and you come to the island that has the cottage Shangri La on it. Big boat dock, nice cottage with two or three newer looking houses/cottages. You can go to the left between the island and the shore or go to the right/straight out to the main channel. If you go straight across you enter the bay where Lochhaven Lodge. is. Once you get out in the main channel if you turn east you will have this same island on the left, and be facing a smaller island kind of in the middle of the North Channel. If you go between these two, it opens up into a relatively big bay on the left and the channel going straight ahead. Now, just on the other side of this small island in the centre there was a shoal that was just above water in 2008, it's now about 6' out of the water and looks like a little island. To the south of this are the three rock piles/shoals whatever, that were only about 1 / below the water in July, not marked but will destroy an engine. What can trick you is they are hard to see even with polarized glasses if there is any chop on the water. and around them the water goes to 10' and more. I was drifting with the engine up and still scraped the bottom of the 14' aluminum. As well, they aren't right side by side, they're spaced out aboutn15 to 20' apart two on the same horizontal line and one farther east. Be careful, hope this helps.

Bill

Edited by fishingBill

Thanks Bill: I have an idea on where you're talking about now. If I'm correct, this "small island" is kind of a long skinny island, with the lower point - pointing down in the direction of Cranes. This lower point extends our from the island a little ways. I know of the one shoal that was slightly out of the water with some nice weeds around it. From here, down towards Cranes, I know there is another rock shoal that was just under the water the last time I was there - about two years ago. So, it sure sounds like there is more in that lower shoal area than I knew about. Really appreciate the info. Thanks.

Thanks Bill: I have an idea on where you're talking about now. If I'm correct, this "small island" is kind of a long skinny island, with the lower point - pointing down in the direction of Cranes. This lower point extends our from the island a little ways. I know of the one shoal that was slightly out of the water with some nice weeds around it. From here, down towards Cranes, I know there is another rock shoal that was just under the water the last time I was there - about two years ago. So, it sure sounds like there is more in that lower shoal area than I knew about. Really appreciate the info. Thanks.

That's it , you have it now. Good luck, wish I was there. Only excitement I had was getting broke, bit off by something big (right through 60# Seaguar leader , teeth marks left on line) and seeing a big bass look over my PopR.

Bill

We're on the same page. Had something of nice size lunge after a top raider just on the inside of that point a few years back. Too bad she missed the bait. Went back a few times and never saw her again.

Did you take any runs out to Restoule Bay or Five-Finger rapids at all. Just trying to get a handle on any other prop-busters that have been found. I'll be sure to check in with Harold when we get there.

• 3 weeks later...

We're on the same page. Had something of nice size lunge after a top raider just on the inside of that point a few years back. Too bad she missed the bait. Went back a few times and never saw her again.

Did you take any runs out to Restoule Bay or Five-Finger rapids at all. Just trying to get a handle on any other prop-busters that have been found. I'll be sure to check in with Harold when we get there.

Any more word on the French? Water level and prop busters?

Heading there to Wolseley tomorrow for the week.

Here is the best map I have been able to come up with for the area. I used the ontario maps site to piece this together from screen shots. Hope it helps you guys.

Anyone want to mark on up with areas to watch out for... be my quest.

WolselyBayPieced-crop.jpg

WolselyBayPiecedright.jpg

WolselyBayPiecedleft.jpg

Went to five finger rapids, alll fine from the main channel once past the area I mentioned before. Stay to the centre of the bay when you go into five finger rapids area, down near end where rapids come in there are rocks that were under the water a year ago above and just beneath the surface. Down to 3-4 ft when I was there in July just before getting to the rapids outflow. I never went up the little channel to the rapids per se, not confident as didn't know the area.

Bill

• 10 months later...

The launch at Wolseley Lodge is a public launch. Wolseley Lodge will charge for parking if you are not actually staying there. Maybe you can arrange to launch there and have one of your buddies drive back to the lodge.

I'll be heading to Wolsely Lodge in just over a week.

Is there a fair amount of river to fish without rapids //// and do you know what the parking fee is per/day if I was to launch my boat for the day

Is there a fair amount of river to fish without rapids //// and do you know what the parking fee is per/day if I was to launch my boat for the day

Oh yes .. you'll have a LOT of water to fish before getting to any kind of rapids. Five-Finger rapids are a few miles out and there is another set down near Crane's Lockhaven lodge. I do a lot of fishing right there in Wolseley Bay. There were several muskies taken right from the bay itself during the one week I was there last year. Ya don't have to go far.

Not sure what the parking rates would be. Their website may have it or just give Harold a call.