bernard lake

uglyfish

hey guys, my brother is takin a trip up to bernard lake, and he wants to do a little fishing with he friends while hes there. hes not much of a fisherman at all, so he came to me. now, i know its not a big lake, but is fairly deep, hold lakers, whitefish, smallies, perch... just waondering if anyone has tips on baits and presentations to use while hes there to hopefully get them into a few fish.

thanks for the help!

We fished it one long weekend a few years back, it was a tough go. I think we only ended up catching a few smallies in the shallow weedbeds. We marked tons of fish down deep in the deeper areas, and assume they were lakers and whities, but couldn't get them to bite our lines.

That's all the advice I can give ya, sorry.

Joey

I've got a cottage on the south end of the lake, but really just got serious about fishing last year. Yes, there are lakers & whitefish but unless you've go the gear to get down deep (and even then, they are tough to catch in the summer) stick to smallmouth fishing, it's picked up over the last few years, and while the fishing is tough (Bernard is far from what I'd call a destination fishing lake), they are there. Fish weedlines (pencil reeds) particularly where there are dropoffs to the 20+' level, there are rocky areas on the west shore, but I haven't had any luck there. I've never caught any perch, but heard they are relatively small so likely not worth going after. I've had some success with pumpkinseed tubes this summer, and my brother caught a good size smallmouth using a good old red devil. Tell him to visit Bill at the outfitters in Sundridge, he should be able to offer more advice. Hope that helps.