Another Flippin Stick Question

MCTFisher9120

Hey guys, got another question for ya. Was at Gagnons in Oshawa today and was holding a bunch of rods. A few that got my attention was both the 7'6MH St Croix Legend Xtreme and Legend Tournament rods as well as the 7'11MH Cumara by Shimano. With a 7'11MH rod is that still in the norm for a flippin stick. I like the price of the LT and the Cumara but would love to spend the extra 50 on the Xtreme. The purchase is still in the air but does anybody use that Cumara for flippin?

Hey guys, got another question for ya. Was at Gagnons in Oshawa today and was holding a bunch of rods. A few that got my attention was both the 7'6MH St Croix Legend Xtreme and Legend Tournament rods as well as the 7'11MH Cumara by Shimano. With a 7'11MH rod is that still in the norm for a flippin stick. I like the price of the LT and the Cumara but would love to spend the extra 50 on the Xtreme. The purchase is still in the air but does anybody use that Cumara for flippin?

Mike it depends on HOW you plan on fishing with it? will you pitch,flip,mostly dunk? The answer will determine what length/action would suite you.Ask Bremner I'm sure he will fix you up.

Edited by hirk

Mike it depends on HOW you plan on fishing with it? will you pitch,flip,mostly dunk? The answer will determine what length/action would suite you.Ask Bremner I'm sure he will fix you up.

I like pitching into holes in weeds, deep edges off rocks with logs and weed close by, i love pitching out into lilly pads and around docks. Used 3/8 and 1/2 jigs mostly on 50lb braid. I got the hand of it on a 7'H but I felt like i needed more length on the rod so I can throw more line out rather pitch the jig out and raise the rod up quickly so more line would strip off the reel. A 7'6 give or take would be great, I liked the short heavy rod but not sure if a 7'6H or MH would be better Hirk

I like pitching into holes in weeds, deep edges off rocks with logs and weed close by, i love pitching out into lilly pads and around docks. Used 3/8 and 1/2 jigs mostly on 50lb braid. I got the hand of it on a 7'H but I felt like i needed more length on the rod so I can throw more line out rather pitch the jig out and raise the rod up quickly so more line would strip off the reel. A 7'6 give or take would be great, I liked the short heavy rod but not sure if a 7'6H or MH would be better Hirk

You are about 5'9"??? If your going to be pitching alot I wouldn't suggest anything over 7'3",long rods are awkward to pitch with and will hit the gunnel rail,whether you go MH or H would depend on the cover and if your pitching light stuff or heavey jigs and how much tip/give you like in a rod.

You are about 5'9"??? If your going to be pitching alot I wouldn't suggest anything over 7'3",long rods are awkward to pitch with and will hit the gunnel rail,whether you go MH or H would depend on the cover and if your pitching light stuff or heavey jigs and how much tip/give you like in a rod.

No I need a 7'6 lol I'm a 6 tall dude :P

well Mike each rods gunna be a bit different and well its all about the action.. my 7' XH carrot stick is nice but its very tippy (probably like a med action) mean while my 7'6 crucial is a 7'6 MH Fast action and well I personally wouldnt go any heavier.. tho every time I get a rod and get used to it I wish it was longer and if your the same way I suggest you getting a 7'6 Minimum...

well Mike each rods gunna be a bit different and well its all about the action.. my 7' XH carrot stick is nice but its very tippy (probably like a med action) mean while my 7'6 crucial is a 7'6 MH Fast action and well I personally wouldnt go any heavier.. tho every time I get a rod and get used to it I wish it was longer and if your the same way I suggest you getting a 7'6 Minimum...

Appreciate the post, I agree. That 7 was soo little for throwing jigs. with that 7'11 rod it felt nice and still didn't seem too long. Although not a rod for jigs the length felt nice.

I`ll be honest with ya I think my next twig for Flippin will be a Boyd Ducket.. 7`6 or somthin

Hmm, are those the white rods I saw at Gagnon's? They seemed nice man, haven't looked into them too much. I'll most likely settle for another Croix but I'm in no hurry. I'll use what I got for this season then it's all winter long purchasing for the boat, motor, trolling motor,fenders,paint job,etc...I'll have my money tied up or I'll just pocket a few bucks every week and go on a spree in the early spring lol

Either way, $500 for another rod/reel wont be necessity until next year. I'll prob just stick to my another legend tourny/curado setup. Great rods and reels.