Fishing Saturday

Gregoire

Had a chance to go out with the husband of my girlfriends friend yesterday. We were targeting pike and bass. I was excited to try out my new to me rod and reel combo I picked up on Friday. I had been out with a friend fishing and he was skip casting under cover and I was jealous. I quickly realized that skip casting with a baitcaster was not a good idea. Thankfully Kijiji was good to me. The combo is an Abu Soron sx40 with an fenwick eagle medium 6'6 rod. The reel came with the box, papers, case and extra spool. Now I just have to learn to skip cast.

9afa5e4d.jpg

Unfortunately the new tackle did not get much of a work out. It was a tough day. We were fishing shoals and could not locate the active fish. I ended up boating a Perch and the fattest rock bass I've ever seen in my life. He got a small bass. I thought I finally had something good, I felt good weight and set the hook. However my 8 lb fluoro leader let me down. WHen the fish started to run he cut right through the leader. I hate losing lures. Lesson learned. From now on I will use a 20 lb+ fluoro leader when trolling.

Here is a pic of the perch. He hit a wacky rigged white semko.

90266dc3.jpg

We tried drop shotting with gulp alive, dragging tubes, draggin jigs, casting crack baits, casting jerk baits, spinner baits, wacky rigged semkos and trolling body baits. It was a tough day on the water, but a good day none the less. I don't get a chance to get out nearly as much as I would like to, so any day on the water is awesome.

If anybody has advice on technique, lures or where to find fish on the lovely lady simcoe would appreciate it.

Thanks for reading

• 7 months later...

It's a nice reel. I like the fact that it comes with an extra spool and a spool designed to hold braid. I've only used the reel a few times, as I mostly use baitcasters. The reel is well built quality reel, especially for its price point, but it is a bit heavy. I believe Abu is phasing this reels out so there should be some good deals to be had on them.