Homemade Downrigger

Guest Rapala Boy

Guest Rapala Boy

I recently busted my Scotty Laketroller and need a new downrigger for many fishing purposes. So I decided to make a new one. So far what I have in mind a reasonably long ice fishing rod spooled with 3 colors of #27 lead core line, with a 4 pound cannon ball on the end. Any ideas or suggestion before I go and do this?

I think you'll be disappointed, that's only going to get you down 30'. You're fishing from a kayak if I recall. I'd run the lead core on a trolling outfit instead. The only decent home made riggers I ever saw were made by a very experienced 20+ years tool and die maker/ pattern maker with a milling machine, drill press, metal lathe and metal band saw in a home work shop. Even at that he used Big John pullies and scrounged his employer for quality materials. just sayin :whistling:

Guest Rapala Boy

Well, i have half a core left and the other half I wasted spooling a reel to three colors (and each color is 10 yards (=30feet)). I'm no handy man boy, but it doesn't look like I have any other choice. It'll be in my next salmon report!