Minn Kota Universal sonar 2 users

scugpg

Hi folks,

Do any of you using a Minn Kota with a Universal sonar notice a significant difference with clarity and marking fish compared to using your factory Humminbird or Lowrance transducer?

I'm finding I'm not getting near as much detail with the US2 compared to the transom mount skimmer.

I don't know if this will help in any way but I found this on Scott Golden's site, Walleye Central. And here's the quote...

"There are two possible sources of the interference. One is conducted interference, caused by the Pulse Width Modulation speed control in the motor sending pulses into the power circuitry. The other is radiated interference, electromagnetic interference (EMI) from the motor's lower unit and brush leads. Before you can solve the problem, you'll need to determine the source of the interference. Here's how to tell, unplug the transducer from the back of the depth finder. Now run the motor. If you no longer see interference, the problem is radiated noise. If you do, the source is conducted interference from the power line.

To solve conducted interference, you'll need to connect the main negative trolling motor battery post (where the negative trolling motor power wire connects) to an effective earth ground. This can be the negative post on your cranking battery or the hull of the boat, if it's an aluminum hull. Use a small wire, 18 gauge wire will do, with a 1 amp fuse. If you have an on-board charging system, you need to be careful. If the trolling motor power wires connect to the charger, and do not connect directly to the batteries, you'll need to contact the charger manufacturer for further instructions.

If the source of your interference turns out to be radiated noise, you'll need to add a Ferrite Core, a simple piece that attaches to the transducer wire, or replace your transducer, or possibly both. We have been experiencing this issue mostly with the high-thrust motors. The 36 volt motors are the worst. Last year we developed a new Puck that greatly reduces this noise. A new style transducer along with the Ferrite Core should completely eliminate the noise, even in severe cases."