Superline - sudden catastrophic failures

Garry2Rs

In the past, many members have written about sudden break-offs with superline. Sometimes this happens when the line is brand new, but more often, when the line has been used for quite awhile.

Personally, I had this problem with the 30 pound Powerpro, on my casting rods, a couple of years ago. The line was over a year old, but it still looked good. Then suddenly it began to break between the rod and the bait when I tried to pull a lure off of a weed or snag.

At I-Cast, last month, Sufix announced a new braid called "Sufix 832 Advanced Superline." The name comes from the fact that this new line is an 8 strand braid and 32 pics, or weaves, per inch. Eight strands with such a high pic count will make this line very tight and round.

One of the 8 strands is made from Gore-Tex!?!

Curious, about the supposed benefit of this Gore-Tex fibre, I did some research.

According to Sufix, when the superline fibers drawn tight, past a certain point, they start cutting themselves! The effects shows up as a slightly fuzzy look when the line is dry. Over time this weakens the line to the point where a sudden shock causes catastrophic failure...IE. Sudden unexpected break-offs.

According to Sufix the purpose of the Gore-Tex fibre is to lubricate their very tight weave, thus eliminating this problem.

So far I haven't seen any of this new line for sale. Most of the new products from I-Cast will be hitting the US market in November. If that's the case, I will give you my first impressions of it on-the-water, this winter.

Garry2R's

Guest Johnny Bass

Sounds very promising. I've had my 50lb pwer pro for ages and no problems other then the line turning white but i still catch fish. I bought some 20 lb for slop.I hope it doesn't start breaking. The trilene mono has been giving me all kinds of problems with tangles.

I'll be interested in the price, some of these new super lines are running $50-$55 a spool, thats just ridiculous IMO

I don't think it will be too pricey.

I think I heard $20.00US.

There are supposed to be some discount coupons available soon to help dealers clear their old stock.

Garry2rs