Importing a boat from the USA... some questions

wask

Sorry guys, I know I've seen this several times on the board, but I can't trick the search feature inot showing the results I'm looking for.

I am looking at buying a boat in the US, only a $2000 one, and bringing it back next week.

What do I need to do in preparation.

I've seen conflicting information several places. Some say you have to fax the title to customs 72 hours in advance, some don't mention it.

Anyone know? Anyone actually done this?

Some sites suggest that you basically just drive up to the border with our bills of sale/ titles in hand and it is as easy as pie.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Wask

I bought one down there 3 years ago..you need is a bill of sale for the boat a bill of sale for the motor and one for the trailer. You also need the titles to all some states don't have titles for trailers. Declare everything and you'll be fine!

Sorry guys, I know I've seen this several times on the board, but I can't trick the search feature inot showing the results I'm looking for.

I am looking at buying a boat in the US, only a $2000 one, and bringing it back next week.

What do I need to do in preparation.

I've seen conflicting information several places. Some say you have to fax the title to customs 72 hours in advance, some don't mention it.

Anyone know? Anyone actually done this?

Some sites suggest that you basically just drive up to the border with our bills of sale/ titles in hand and it is as easy as pie.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Wask

Chances are you are giving it too many choices. Try putting "importing" into the search, should work for you. Also lot's of info if you Google it.

Simple process if you have all your ducks in a row.

72 hours notice not reqd for boats. make sure manufacturers labels are clear and legible on trailer and boat. you coast right out of the states, pay a bunch of tax at the canadian border, on your way. trailer is a vehicle so enters the register of imported vehicles program costs 200 and needs inspection at canadian tire after you're home. check the RIV govt website for details. also check patsboating for some import stories. its no big deal. good luck.

As a car dealer, i've imported hundreds of vehicles over the past six years, including four boats. I have always used a broker, but i understand an individual you don't need one. However, You DO need a trailer title faxed to canada customs 72 hours before you cross the border. You must have a boat registration as well, but you don't need to fax that. Make sure the customs official doesn't fill in the RIV form with the boat information, just the trailer vin etc. I've had that happen and had to take the boat to an airport that had customs officers there to make me a new form. Once in canada you pay the RIV form online, get your paperwork, and go to crappy tire to get the stamp, go to license office for ontario title and plates etc. The boat paperwork i go to a service canada office to apply for a pleasure craft title, where they will give your new boat a number (the one you put on the front of your boat.) Thats pretty much it! Sorry if it sounds confusing, but if you don't have all your ducks in a row customs can really make you have a bad day. Have fun in the new Boat!!!

Sorry for the confusion, it doesn't look like you need 72 hours for a trailer as per RIV.

My broker must be incorrect on that LOL

U.S. Customs entry requirements

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) require notification of all self-propelled vehicles being permanently exported from the United States. You must provide CBP with your vehicle title documents, registration and sales receipts.

U.S. Customs Search

State:

Select a stateIdahoMaineMichiganMinnesotaMontanaNew YorkNorth DakotaVermontWashington

Province:

Select a provinceAlbertaBritish ColumbiaManitobaNew BrunswickOntarioQuebecSaskatchewan

Border crossing:

Select a border crossingAlexandria Bay/Lansdowne BridgeBlaine/Pacific HighwayBuffalo/Ft. ErieCalais/St. StephenChamplain/LacolleDerby Line/Rock IslandDetroit/Detroit-Windsor TunnelDetroit/Windsor (Ambassador Bridge)Eastport/KingsgateGrand Portage/Pigeon RiverHighgate Springs/St-Armand-PhilipsburgHoulton/WoodstockInternational Falls/Fort FrancesLewiston Bridge/Niagara FallsMadawaska/EdmundstonMassena/CornwallNorton/StanhopeOgdensburg/PrescottOreville Area Port/OsoyoosPembina/EmersonPort Huron/SarniaPortal/North Portal HwySault Sainte MarieSumas/HuntingdonSweetgrass Area Port/Coutts

Select a state or province and select a border crossing to retrieve and display U.S. Customs office information or view a list of all U.S Customs offices.

CBP regulations state that at land border points:

• required documentation must be submitted at least 72 hours prior to export; and
  • the vehicle must be presented to U.S. Customs at the time of export.

CBP recommends that you contact the customs office where you plan to cross, directly, to verify the documentation required and their hours of operation.

Select a state or province, then choose the border crossing through which you will be importing your vehicle, to view contact information for the U.S. Customs office.

it says in there somewhere something along the lines of land based and self propelled that eliminates the trailer from the 72 hour requirement. also no requirement for recall clearance letter if trailer is under 10k gross. however as clear as it is that the trailer doesn't require 72 hours notice it seems 1 out of 3 customs officers think differently.

this is a simple process unfortunately PEOPLE are involved.

Everything posted is correct and no you don't need to give 72hrs notice.Just be sure to have separate receipts.One thing not mentioned,you cannot get a temp plate from here unless you show a ownership title 1st (ie. buy boat and get papers before going) and most states don't have travel plates they issue so you are stuck either getting seller to leave the plate with you or bringing a Ont. trailer plate off of another trailer for the return trip.When you go to MTO they will ask for trailer weight and may request that you take it to scales (yet you don't have a plate yet!!),offer to have the trailer manufacturer fax them the weight,worked for me:).If you buy from a non-title state you will need to have that states MTO fax our MTO verifying this fact.Why they don't have a master list of which states title or not is beyond me:(

+1 on the trailer plate. what a ridiculous argument with the MTO. bring in your ownership and we'll issue you a temp plate she says. well if i have the ownership and all my documents id just get the real plate! so i printed off the email from the MTO stating no such thing as a temp plate and took it with me, hoping if i got bagged i could at least demonstrate my attempt to be legal to the OPP. every state ive dealt with has a letter on their DOT website stating non title state.