Anyone familiar with this lake?

The JAY

Okay, I was just invited to go up to a cottage with a buddy next week. He was offered the cottage, but lacks a boater's card, so he called yours truly. I have no idea what's in this lake, and until an hour ago I'd never even heard of it...

Butterfly lake, just South of Lake Joseph at the 169/118 junction. Looks pretty small, but I'm hoping to get some fish out of it anyway. My question is, what will I be hoping to catch? Bass most likely, but is there a chance of hooking any pike or walleyes?

In reality, it doesn't matter much. I'm not going to be at work, and that's the important thing, right?rolleyes.gif Maybe I should just ignore Butterfly and head to another lake....

If you're familiar with the area, any pointers would be greatly appreciated.worthy.gif

Thanks!

Great lake for pike and bass.

The largest bass I have ever seen caught came from this lake. The fish was over 8lbs but was caught in the spring while pike fishing and she was quickly released.

There is an island in the middle of the lake and there is a shallow bar that runs off the north tip of the island. We use to hammer good bass and pike off the deep side (west?). Avoid the bay by the road, never had much luck there, might be because of the large amounts of winter salt that ends up in that part of the lake from snowplowing, just a guess.

The lake has both largemouth and smallmouth bass. Try throwing a big white spinnerbait for best results.

No walleye that I know of. You would make a mistake to leave this lake to fish elsewhere in the area. Hidden gem that is not hidden. Poor boat access keeps the angling pressure down. The trailer park has a boat ramp but the charge large $.

Great place to pick up steaks at the Glen Orchard store.

The lake is not very big but you should have fun.

Edited by Michael Brown

That is awesome! And FAST! Thanks very much. Looking forward to the trip even more now. And you said the magic word, "STEAK"...

This particular buddy and I have done some serious beef consumption together, including a couple of 4Lb T-bones, and a pair of monster 5Lb rib-eyes.....

I'm so giddy!!!!thumbsup_anim.gif

Good post, Michael Brown...I've driven by that lake many times and wondered about it. And yes, you can't go wrong with the shop in Glenora...great bait and tackle shop next door too....he'll give you lots of good info as well. Good luck! :D