Places to stay Batchawana Bay/Montreal River area

downriverbob

We did the same thing from southeast Michigan many years ago. we stayed at a motel at Batchawana Bay. Motel was north woods nice, clean and the resturant was quite good. I can't recall the name but it is on the north side of the road. We were doing the same thing. Quite a nice drive, lots of water falls, ocassional great views of Superior, many moose just generaly a nice trip. We had no reservations and just took our chances and were pleased with the results.We took the cut off north of Thunder Bay and were etill happy with our lodging. No Batchawana over all but still okay.

Going just under an hour further north puts you in wawa. This affords you many more options, Ive stayed at the Mystique Isle and White Fang just before town. They are both clean places with reasonable rates. Right across the hwy is kinniwabi pines restaurant, great food and a very surprising selection for wawa, worth a look.

If you're set on Batch, the Voyageur is the best bet.

I am pretty much limited to area around Batchawana to Montreal River, only have about 1/2 day of travel so that would put me in that area around 7-8 PM. I am towing my boat, so have to take it somewhat easy ! If I had a full day I could probably make it to Thunder Bay. I am staying in Fort Frances the next day before we going into Sioux Narrows and Lake of the Woods. We going this way for a change of scenery. Usually go through Upper Pennisula of Michigan, Wisconsin, and then Minnesota.

BOB

Although it's been years, I've stayed at the Salzberger Hof many times and always in October.

We used to head up there religiously to fish for steelhead in the rivers between the Soo and Wawa.

Always a great place to stay and a decent German restaurant as well.

I remember one time in the motel though.

The walls were somewhat thin and you could here the young couple in the room next to us:

Her (yelling): "One week's holliday a year and you drag me up here?!!"

Him: "But, but..."

Her: "People are weird up here, they're all hicks! It's cold, there's nothing to do. NEVER AGAIN!!

Him: "But honey isn't it beautiful?"

Her: "There's nothing but rocks and trees, what are you nuts!!!"

At that point the power went out and she raised her lambasting to an entirely new level.

I quietly snuck out, went to the office and got some candles from them.

When I arrived back she was still laying into the poor bugger.

My buddy loudly says "Oh great you got some candles from the office, now we can see!"

The she-devil next door suddenly realized we could hear every word and all went quiet.

About 2 mins later there was a knock on our door.

It was her.

Looking sheepish she asked us where we got the candles and if there were any more.

I looked at her and said "Try the office. But be careful the owner is weird hick" :lol:

I don't think I've ever pitied anyone more than that womans husband.

Was good entertainment though.

(Long story but you jogged my memory. :) )

Places I can recommend & have stayed at recently are sunset shores 866.887.8862 located at the batchawana river crossing of #17 or McCauleys motel 705.649.5571 which is about 30-40 minutes north of the soo, at the very bottom of batchawana bay (haviland bay actually) Neither one is the hilton but they won't break the bank either. All the best on your trip.

Cheers

jac

Going just under an hour further north puts you in wawa. This affords you many more options, Ive stayed at the Mystique Isle and White Fang just before town. They are both clean places with reasonable rates. Right across the hwy is kinniwabi pines restaurant, great food and a very surprising selection for wawa, worth a look.

If you're set on Batch, the Voyageur is the best bet.

I agree with jay. just went up that way last week and Wawa offers a lot more options. We stayed at The Bristol and it is always clean and the rooms are spacious. I've only eaten at the Columbia and the food has been fine but I'm not sure about other restaurants that may be better. I've heard Kiniwabi Pines is good but have yet to eat there.

Enjoy the drive from The Soo to Wawa. Absolutely the most scenic piece of road I've ever travelled. And if you get a chance, I would highly recommend checking out the Pictographs near Agawa Bay. The hike down to them is mind boggingly beautiful.....

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

the bristol is definitely an excellent option. i was a fan of the hot tub in the basement, the dvd player and tv room, and the fact that there was bookshelves in the hallways complete with books to browse.