Garmin etrex Summit GPS sale at CT

snag

Seems like a great price. Garmin makes quality products.

Colour doesn't add a lot, just a "nice to have."

For that price you can't go wrong. You can buy maps with the money you save.

Go for it.....

I used mine alot when heading out of the city. It holds 1000 waypoints and 100 reversable routes. The only draw back is that it doesn't take mmemory cards and can't download maps. And no software came with it. But it holds alot of features. Most are waterproof. But that you have is good that it only used 2 AA batteries. Mine uses 4 AA. High enegry drain for sure.

dsn

ps just read the details on the one you posted it only holds 50 waypoints and 1 reversable route.

I think thats kinda limited. :unsure:

Edited by dsn

Seems like a great price. Garmin makes quality products.

Colour doesn't add a lot, just a "nice to have."

For that price you can't go wrong. You can buy maps with the money you save.

Go for it.....

Thanks Dutch,

The price is tempting.........

I used mine alot when heading out of the city. It holds 1000 waypoints and 100 reversable routes. The only draw back is that it doesn't take mmemory cards and can't download maps. And no software came with it. But it holds alot of features. Most are waterproof. But that you have is good that it only used 2 AA batteries. Mine uses 4 AA. High enegry drain for sure.

dsn

ps just read the details on the one you posted it only holds 50 waypoints and 1 reversable route.

I think thats kinda limited. :unsure:

Dennison,

I actually have no idea of the way points and reversibles; I really want to mark the "middle of nowhere" spots that turn out to be honey holes. I'm only interested in my exact location at time of a sucessful catch!

BTW the ad says 500 waypoints and 20 reversible points???

BTW part 2: I found a new local spot

I'm so confused.

the flyer says 500 and 20 but the site you post says 50 and 1??? i dont know...

Hmmmmmmmm,

I posted that internet listing while at work, uh, lunch.

I am now at home with the flyer and it says 500 and 20??

Thanks Kev,

I'm going to bed but I'll send you a PM soon.

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexsummit/

There are 500 way-points according to the above.

May want to check about that expandable memory, it does come in handy. Also, the point about the maps is a good one, although if you do just want to mark spots this would do the trick.

I got my Magellan at 55% off back in December, good thing I went in Friday night and got it, was back in the store at 9:30 the Saturday morning (looking for maps) and the 4 units they had the night before were gone.

If you are taking the plunge, get there early.

CT has a return policy, try it out if you are serious. If you get it home and it's not the one for you, take it back, no questions asked!

Dennison,

I actually have no idea of the way points and reversibles; I really want to mark the "middle of nowhere" spots that turn out to be honey holes. I'm only interested in my exact location at time of a sucessful catch!

BTW the ad says 500 waypoints and 20 reversible points???

BTW part 2: I found a new local spot

I'm so confused.

Confused?

Ok. waypoints are for marking your locations. (hotspots) Just a simple icon.

Routes & reversablie routes are the trails you take to get to your waypoints.

Lets say you marked a spot on a lake (waypoint) and in order to get there you had to cut an island to get there. The route feature marks a line on the GPS and shows you the exact path you took to get there. And when you want to head home Reverseable route will show the path you took to get out of the place you were fishing and back to your car.

So when looking for a GPS look for one with maxium waypoints (cause you'll want to save them as the years go on, while your out on the water.)

gspsample.jpg

The black squares are waypoints the bottom waypoint is the starting position. The top waypoint is where you want to fish.

1) The gray line is the trail you took to get to the way point or points.

In the first example if your GPS doesn't store trails. This is the situation you'll be in...

Looking above its easy, but when you get to the lake and see everything at beetles level you'll be lost trying to figure out where to start first. Specially if you don't have the trail marked out that you had to go around islands and boulders to get to your fishing hole.

2 Situtation 2 Shows the trail you took to get to your fishing spot. 2 simple waypoints. Starting position and fishing position. And you had to take a short cut through an inlet to get there faster and shows where the inlet was located.

3 Situation3 shows that, along the trail you found other great fishing spots (waypoints)and you marked them all along the trail.

So like I said the more waypoints the GPS can hold and more routes it can saved the better. If you can download the all the info and store it on your computer and when you need it then tranfer the info back into your GPS thats great too. (Which my GPS allows)

I hope this clears things up for you. about waypoints and routes.

dsn :canadian:

Wow, thanks for the lesson and explanation!! :thumbsup_anim:

I did buy one yesturday.

However, it is still in the package while I decide it's fate!

I love how small it is.

If I can download the info, then it's a keeper.

Thanks again!!

:clapping:

Hope this isn't too late but I'd suggest spending a bit more on the Garmin Cx series of GPS units.

You get:

1. Colour screen

2. USB connection to the PC

3. About double battery life (18 vs 32 hours on 2 x AA)

4. Auto-routing with the appropriate maps

5. Expandable memory

You can buy the cheaper unit to mark favorite fishing spots but will soon want auto-nav to the spot. Radioworld in Toronto offers great everyday pricing on stuff. Check out eTrex Venture Cx (if you already have a USB cable and MicroSD card, etrex Legend Cx if you don't). :blahblah1:

Cheers,

Barn

I may be a little late here too but here is my opinion.

I picked up a Etrex Legend C a couple years ago along with the blue charts.

If you decide to load up the navigational charts depending on where you are they can give you a pretty congested picture at times with all kinds of different lines(contours, navigational routes, saved routes..). Having colour makes it very easy to quickly identify what the different lines are, something that can be really handy when you are navigating in unknown waters that are tricky like Georgian Bay. They are more expensive, but they are amazing little units.

After using my unit, I would not consider anything less unless I absolutely had to. Maybe try out the CT return policy as suggested and compare a color unit to the black and white.

Enjoy your new toy, you will love it. They sure come in handy trying to get off a lake in the middle of a blizzard too!

GPSCity.ca is a good place to shop for these little doodads. The x suffix denotes an expandable memory, highly recommended, you can get a 1 GB microSD card for the price of a dozen beer (not Ol Milwacky, but real beer). I think you can put the topo/street map of Canada on that lil sucker.

Edited by douG