Wednesday musky report

Fisherpete

Headed out for an early morning fish with Al. On the water at 6:30am, mix of sun & cloud, nice chop on the water. Surface temps 76F. Despite the favourable conditions, after four hours we had nothing to show for our efforts, save for a nice 3+ smallie pulled from a dock that Al lost at boatside. All our musky milk run spots had failed... shallow, mid and deep. Was Pepe Le Pieu going to make an appearance for the first time in 2010? Was the Stowmaster going to stay stowed? Methinks not.

Out came the map, and using depths and contour lines, a new area was scouted out.

Pepe Le Pieu was hooked thru the nose, scolded, and cast out to perish.

I did the musky dance. Al still refuses, something about having his dignity. Hmmmmph.

Ten minutes after getting to the new area, the Stowmaster came out to play. Not a big one (low 30's), but it felt great after hours of effort. No pics of this one, just a quick release. Revitalized, we continued working the area... I got a solid hit, and number two was soon in the boat, a better fish at 42".

netshot.jpg

42a.jpg

We fished for another half-hour or so after that, and then packed it in around 1pm, as it was getting really hot and humid out there. Al's new ride is quite nice to fish from, and flies around pretty good with its 90 EFI 4 stroke Merc, I think we hit 45mph. I have to say though, boat control with a bigger engine can certainly be a challenge.