Grand River

grt1

I grew up in Brantford, in Eagle Place and as a kid I used to fish the "bass hole". this was at the end of the dyke at the bottom of Baldwin Ave and got some good fish there, we also fished a place called green waters that was off the end of Birketts Lane for bass.

I have been gone from Brantford for over 30 years now and when I look at the fishing regs I see so many different regulations for the Grand River, it's kind of mind boggling as to what you can use and when you can fish.

So my question is to you Grand River fishermen, has the fishing improved that much that alll these regulations are needed and what type of fish are you getting from the river?

The grand is still a awesome fishery , I lived in kitchener for almost 3 years and the grand was like fisherman's heaven playground for me, Salmon and trout still do there runs and walleye also and in the bellwood area "Fergus" they stock the grand with browns but my fav was the smallie action i still venture out those ways in the summer, overall i rate the grand one of the best urban rivers in ontario.

Edited by PatrickGG

The Grand is a untouchable fishery ..there is everything in the grand from Cats to Salmon you name the fish there there ..me i mostly fish Crappies Walleye & Channle cats bellow the Dunnville Dam Best fishing is from mid may till mid july ...

Don't know about Brantford but I fish Caledonia alot and over the past years the fishing has slowed down. Too many poachers and idiots out thier. I even heard last summer a round eye gobbie was caught at the dam. Not good news :angry:

I have a hole in brantford that at times produces a limit of walleye and occasionaly a few bows lots of bass and a few pike.The dam has been rebuilt on the city side and has a lot of snags but there are still lots of fish there.If you are ever in town send me a pm and i will see if i can get out and reintroduce you to brantford waters.As for greenwaters its been awhile since i have been there but got a few walleye the last time out.

JEREMY

When the river opens up and is fishablejust send a pm and i will see what i can do.My girlfreind and i are expecting a baby at the end of may so that time could be touchy.She would kill me if i missed the birth of the baby becuase i was fishing but before and after that it would begreat i can always use a new fishing buddy.Where about do you fish?

I live on Gullrock Lake, it is part of the Red Lake chain of lakes. We are 350 miles north west of Thunder Bay and 325 miles north east of Winnipeg.

The walleye fishing up here is second to none and we have huge lake trout and an abundance of northerns (mostly fished by the US visitors).

I rarely get to Brantford and when I do get there, I don't have any fishing equipment with me as my trips to the home town are usually for burials of relatives.