Help a brother out eh?

jackal68

THE RANT!!!

Man is it me? I was raised 1/2 of my adult life up north! I.E. Western Quebec (Abitibi area) I guess you can say I am spoiled when it comes to pristine bodies of water. I know how to fish them ,raft them, canoe them, heck even sleep overnight on them! But when it comes to fishing this Dang grand river, I'm just about ready to pack the whole thing in!

I took my kids down there this morning for a couple of hrs and I maybe fished 15 min. Why? Because I was constantly "re rigging" my kids lines.The other night I went to the same spot with my son! No issues, I actually caught a fish! Carp mind ya! But albeit a fish! There was a local guy who kinda showed me how he sets up his lines, I set up the same way, and caught a carp. Today I just totally hated fishing.... I was even bitten by a horse fly on top of it all. At least I think it was! It was almost the size of a Cessna 185 aircraft. LOL. I really need some help with how to set up right for river fishing! As it stands I dont think I will be relocating up north anytime soon. I want my kids to actually catch fish, not watch their dad spazzing out.

Sincerely

One frustrated dad / angler

Hey, come fishing with me,,,, i catch fish and swim too ( check out my lastest report! lol)

On a more serious note, this site is all about helping others.

Just post a bit of this:

1) species of fish you are targeting

2) Type of fishing you like to do

And has already been posted, take the kids elsewhere for some fun fishing till u get the hang of that river.

Keep on keeping on bro

The Grand can be tough since it's a big river, but once you get to know it a little...... Rerigging is often part of river fishing. Depth is not constant so you'll find bottom here and there.

If you're interested in going for a bit of a drive with the kids, the ponds in Waterford are not too far away. Lots of opportunities to get into fish there and it may be a little easier than fishing the big river.

Also, Bannister Lake near Paris has some shoreline and lots of sunfish as well as the odd bass and the not-so-odd Pike

[/quote The species im interested in is Bass, wally's. Heck something that the kids can take home. I would like to show them how to clean fish and then maybe eat it? So that would rule out the "undesirable fish" :dunno:

Edited by Caribou

You can also take the kids to mount pleasant.A few ponds in the park holding bass, perch, and pan fish.Very clear ponds, with some weed beds.I find the back pond produces bigger bass.mpb is 3 plus lbs.It will keep the kids occupied looking for fish along the shore line.Very close to your neck of the woods!

As for the grand,I hit the upper stretchs for brown in the early am, in the summer!

The species im interested in is Bass, wally's. Heck something that the kids can take home. I would like to show them how to clean fish and then maybe eat it? So that would rule out the "undesirable fish" :dunno:

Well check your fishing regulations before you head out onto the Grand - there is a lot of the water that is STRICTLY catch and release zones. This means you can't keep anything, you can't fish with live bait, you can only fish with single-hooks, and the barbs on the hooks need to be pinched down.

Examples:

Rapala with 2 trebles would be illegal.

A worm and a bobber would be illegal.

A mepps spinner with a treble hook and pinched down barbs would be legal.

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle! Of all the people that Ive talked to that fish the grand not one person mentioned anything about hooks being pinch. Minnows yep I knew but hooks! well its official Im sticking to ponds. Thanks for the 411 on the hooks. Even my local bait shop didnt tell me! Man now I am frustrated! Anyone out there from Brantford care to go with me to the grand and give me lesson on river fishing? Im going to check my regulation book now! :wallbash:

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle! Of all the people that Ive talked to that fish the grand not one person mentioned anything about hooks being pinch. Minnows yep I knew but hooks! well its official Im sticking to ponds. Thanks for the 411 on the hooks. Even my local bait shop didnt tell me! Man now I am frustrated! Anyone out there from Brantford care to go with me to the grand and give me lesson on river fishing? Im going to check my regulation book now! :wallbash:

Maybe read the regs before you fish a new locale..

just saying :whistling:

Read the regs but it's only on certain parts, I do not believe it is single barbless or no live bait in Brantford except Whiteman's but I've never fished that section.

Im ok it's just that I am limited on what I can do since my back injury. I have a canoe but I cant lift or carry it. If i could I would be on the water as opposed to the side of the water. I just want to show my kids That there is fish and we can catch them. but everytime it's the same ol same ol. I didnt mean to unload on ya's Just wondering if someone could take a picture of a common river rig. I only use one hook and a sinker anyways.

Again Thank you

You can also take the kids to mount pleasant.A few ponds in the park holding bass, perch, and pan fish.Very clear ponds, with some weed beds.I find the back pond produces bigger bass.mpb is 3 plus lbs.It will keep the kids occupied looking for fish along the shore line.Very close to your neck of the woods!

As for the grand,I hit the upper stretchs for brown in the early am, in the summer!

thanks for that tip i'll look it up

:D

I know from taking kids fishing from experience that you are most certainly best off going to a lake, a pond, or a non-wading situation so that it is easier for THEM to enjoy themselves.

As Timmeh stated, rivers have current and an inconsistent depth, which results in more snags - it is a part of river fishing, and if you aren't getting snagged, you aren't generally where the fish are. It, however, doesn't make your day any better to have 3-4 lines out there at all times - someone is bound to get snagged nearly every cast. Also, the current in the grand can be really strong in some places and it may not be the safest place for small children.

The shore @ Bannister Lake, The Waterford Ponds, Mount Pleasant, Shades Mills (in Cambridge) are just a few spots that you can take them and fish worm & bobber or minnow & bobber just to get the little ones into a few fish.

Dude dont give up on the Grand. Its a great fishery. Here in Brantford there are a few exellent places to fish. Pm me and we will setup a time to go fishin. I can assure you the fishin is as good as any other. As for rigging I would just use a slip sinker with a small split shot about 6 to 8 inches up from the hook. Thats all I use. Good luck man and dont give in to pond fishin just yet.