LaBarons

I went to Lebarons in Ottawa on thursday after class to drop a few hundred bucks on tackle. I walked in and there was not to many customers, maybe 5 in the fishing section. It was the first day of there no tax sale. The shelves from my first impression looked half empty. It seemed everything I was looking for was out of stock. The line selection was the pits and so was the plastics. I wanted to buy a new planer board, out of stock. Okay I will try the glasses, had maybe a dozen pairs and none interested me. There was about ten staff behind the counter all chewing the rag with each other and one guy on the floor stocking shelves.

So I asked all of them where is there stock and a few of them started giggling, and one said we can't keep up. So I suggested maybe if you guys did some work around here there might be stock on the shelves for customers to purchase. I told them I was from out of town and was waiting for their sale to start and had a few hundred bucks to drop on some gear. One of the staff says to me " really, well it's a hit and miss deal around here" I was starting to feel my blood start to boil and asked to speak to the manager. He's not here. I have been in retail for twenty years and that was probably the saddest excuse for a retail store I have ever seen. Absolutely discusting. Needless to say not one of the staff asked me if I needed any assistance when I was wondering around looking for what I needed.

All I purchased was a spool of braided line that I have never used before and a pack of Gammy 5/0 hooks. Total cost $20.00. Probably will be a cold day in hell before I go back in there, I am still pissed about the whole experience. I am going to fire off an e-mail to head office and tell them of my wonderful experience at their Ottawa location, and how useless their staff is. There my rant is over, but I am still steaming.

that sucks dude. im a big fan of lebaron but there is a little truth about what the clerk said. I go up to the markham lebaron and they got more stuff than the mississauga one day and the next month its the exact opposite.

anyways give them crap so i dont have to spend an extra hour driving to markham.

I went to Lebarons in Ottawa on thursday after class to drop a few hundred bucks on tackle. I walked in and there was not to many customers, maybe 5 in the fishing section. It was the first day of there no tax sale. The shelves from my first impression looked half empty. It seemed everything I was looking for was out of stock. The line selection was the pits and so was the plastics. I wanted to buy a new planer board, out of stock. Okay I will try the glasses, had maybe a dozen pairs and none interested me. There was about ten staff behind the counter all chewing the rag with each other and one guy on the floor stocking shelves.

So I asked all of them where is there stock and a few of them started giggling, and one said we can't keep up. So I suggested maybe if you guys did some work around here there might be stock on the shelves for customers to purchase. I told them I was from out of town and was waiting for their sale to start and had a few hundred bucks to drop on some gear. One of the staff says to me " really, well it's a hit and miss deal around here" I was starting to feel my blood start to boil and asked to speak to the manager. He's not here. I have been in retail for twenty years and that was probably the saddest excuse for a retail store I have ever seen. Absolutely discusting. Needless to say not one of the staff asked me if I needed any assistance when I was wondering around looking for what I needed.

All I purchased was a spool of braided line that I have never used before and a pack of Gammy 5/0 hooks. Total cost $20.00. Probably will be a cold day in hell before I go back in there, I am still pissed about the whole experience. I am going to fire off an e-mail to head office and tell them of my wonderful experience at their Ottawa location, and how useless their staff is. There my rant is over, but I am still steaming.

Yeah, thats why Baitcasters and Bits and Baits and other local Tackle shops are first on my list .... only go there if the deal is exceptional :wallbash:

i've been told that baron ottawa sucks and you just confirmed it. fortunately the one close to me here in montreal is fantastic. also if you can, go see Ed at paddle tales in wincester ont, just east of ottawa. he speaks bass. check it out at www.paddletales.com

Yeah everyone dumps on LB's....blah blah blah.....what do you expect, a red freeking carpet and several bikini clad babes to help you with your purchase?

Bottom line is they have lots of stock and where can you get someone to match their prices and be right in the middle of the city? Do a little research on your proposed purchase and then you won't have to rely on a salesperson...it's not rocket science...but if you ask you will get what you need.

Personally I have had nothing but positive experiences and know the manager well and most of the staff and contrary to some opinion they are decent folks who care about the customers.

Bits and baits, bennets, paddletales all offer fishing gear and such so you do have a choice...so take it and be prepared to spend more. I visit Gord at B&Baits once in a while and always make a purchase because they have some stuff lb's doesn't.

IMO if you need to have your ego stroked while making a simple reel or rod or bait purchase then no one will satisfy your needs.

Ottawa would greatly miss the services of Lebarons so be careful what you ask/wish for.

On the other hand give your money to the americans through BP and you can't even order through the Canadian outlets without it coming from the States.....whatever!!! :angry:

Muskymatt I don't need my ego stroked and I have been in retail a long time and know that is not how you run a business. Pm me the manager's e-mail because I would really like to chat with him. I just replied to a post a few weeks ago about the Ottawa store saying how good it was and all the good things that go with it. I went there because it was the first day of their sale and wanted to buy some gear. Also I never said the staff wasn't good people, but I got the impression they didn't give a damn about a customer. I guess the old saying is true "when the cat's away the mice will play"

Muskymatt I don't need my ego stroked and I have been in retail a long time and know that is not how you run a business. Pm me the manager's e-mail because I would really like to chat with him. I just replied to a post a few weeks ago about the Ottawa store saying how good it was and all the good things that go with it. I went there because it was the first day of their sale and wanted to buy some gear. Also I never said the staff wasn't good people, but I got the impression they didn't give a damn about a customer. I guess the old saying is true "when the cat's away the mice will play"

Will do!