Smallie time on Big Lake O

pooch

Smallie time on Big Lake O

What a difference a couple days makes! Last week I was fishing largemouth bass around docks and slop in less than a foot of water, this week I am fishing smallmouth bass in 15 to 20 feet of gin-clear weed free waters. I have three one-day tournaments on the Bay of Quinte on the August long weekend, so I snuck out for a couple days on the big lake to search for some smallmouth bass.

When fishing bass tournaments all anglers pay close attention to weather forecasts the morning of the tournament, but on the Bay of Quinte it is even more important. If the winds are forecast to be light, many anglers will make the 50-60 mile run to Lake Ontario to chase giant smallies, if not it’s a slug fest on “the Bay” going after largemouth (“the Bay” refers to all the waters from Trenton to the gap before Lake Ontario). A run to Lake Ontario is a gamble that costs plenty in gas and valuable fishing time. The reason anglers make that gamble is because it is tough to compete against the quantity and quality of smallies that come out of Lake Ontario.

Once I had the boat launched, I started toward my destination which was a series of islands on the eastern portion of the lake. With so much water to cover I was unsure if I’d figure them out in just a couple days. I decided a jerk bait would be a good choice, because I can cover a lot of water, and even if the smallie don’t hit it they will likely show themselves by following the bait to the boat. It took me a few hours before I got a fish, and when I did it took me by surprise. Once I figured them out I started getting into more, and more. At one point a school of smallies chased a bass to the boat that I was fighting. I remember reading an article about schooling bass, and how it’s important to get another lure back into the water quick. So before unhooking the jerk bait, I threw back a senko and got another one. I craned him into the boat and threw back a tube, and hooked up again. Pretty fun when that happens!

Wednesday was pretty much the same, with me covering lots of water looking for interesting structure and big bass. I got a couple bass that were close to four pounds, but nothing bigger. Again I got into a school of smallies and had a blast plucking them from the water. When it works smallie fishing sure is fun. As well, when out on the big lake every hook-set has the possibility of being a six plus pounder. In the afternoon the winds kicked up, so I made the 1.5 hour back jarring, jaw breaking ride back. I’m sore this morning, but it was all well worth it and I can’t wait to go back!

4be1b0f640d79fba3578cc6a7c42.jpeg

What worked?

Lure – Lucky Craft Pointer in Ghost

Depths – 8 to 20 ft

Rods – 6’6” Shimano Clarus Medium Heavy / Extra Fast

Reels – Shimano Cronarch

Line – 20 lb Stren Super Braid fishing line

Weather Conditions:

Sunny both days

Winds – Tuesday southwest 10 km/h & Wednesday west 15 km/h gusting to 25 km/h

Surface water temperatures 71-73 Fahrenheit

Air temperatures reached a high of 27 Celsius

@http://twitter.com/RedsFishin

Guest Johnny Bass

Great report. Don't know about the smallies, but the largies are easy to catch on the bay.

Edited by Johnny Bass

Sounds like a fun couple of days on the big lake for smallies. I've been trying to get out there for smallies in October but the wind doesn't cooperate. Maybe this Oct lol.

Sucks about the wind farm. I still get smallies in front of them in Buffalo though.

That makes you the authority on wind turbines and small mouth bass, send the Ontario Gov. a note and a bill and they'll probably pay you 10 grand.

We would camp in the harbor for the weekend and have a fish fry for everybody in the harbor. One year we had over 60 guys. The pro's get a little pizzy when they see us there though. Usually rescue a boat or two if the thunderstorms are up. Lots of history out there.

yep your for sure going in the right direction,smallies will win it for ya,i was out there the other day myself and enjoyed the big old smallies,deep diving crank baits and 4" senkos(which never once hit bottom) were my best baits,

great report thanks for the read

good luck in aug

Hawg Hunter