17# Fluorocarbon Breaking

EC1

I'll think you find the line is crap, $10 is way to cheap for flurocarbon, i use the berkely 100% 6 pnd test, tubing in erie and i findit stronger than 15-20 mono,also if your using it for leader, just buy the fluro leader line,best knot in my opinion is the palamar knot, never had it fail and very easy to retie, i'm betting the line is crap, try the berkley 100%.

[/quote

I don't know what you are smoking but I doubt very much that 6 lb test fluorocarbon is stronger than 15 to 20 lb mono. In fact, I would bet a lot of money that 6 lb mono is stronger than any 6 lb fluorocarbon.

I use light line. Been using 3/4 lb test to 6 lb test most of my life and I know when a line is quality or not. I fell for the fluorocarbon hype a few years back and after trying to find at least one decent fluorocarbon line....I quit trying because I have never found a flurocarbon line that was at least half decent.

Ok....maybe 100 lb test fluorocarbon may take a bit of punishment but who wants to fish with 100 lb test line? It's not even good for jigging cod.

100lb is great for jigging Cod. I have used the heaviest of floro for them and Flounder and other bottom fish back home. :w00t::w00t: I cant beleive that I forgot to mention that the line size has to match no matter what. If not the knot will fail every time. I laso use a little glue on the joint as well. I have started using Braid with Floro leadrs for ocean fishing now. Workd great. Its something you are doing wrong. I set the hook like a bulldozer and I fish a hell of a lot and the line is holding up. Which knot are you using for the joining of the 2 lines.

Part of the issue with straight braid is that snags can be next to impossible to get out of, particularly if you're fishing rock structure.

Do you mean that you do not like the fact that line does not break? If you are fishing rock structure and the line does not break....does that mean that you haul up boulders or do you just give up and leave your rod and reel by the side of the lake and go home?

100lb is great for jigging Cod. I have used the heaviest of floro for them and Flounder and other bottom fish back home. :w00t::w00t: I cant beleive that I forgot to mention that the line size has to match no matter what. If not the knot will fail every time. I laso use a little glue on the joint as well. I have started using Braid with Floro leadrs for ocean fishing now. Workd great. Its something you are doing wrong. I set the hook like a bulldozer and I fish a hell of a lot and the line is holding up. Which knot are you using for the joining of the 2 lines.

I prefer a strong braid (40 to 65 lb test) for jigging cod and halibut in deep water. There is no line stretch so hook ups are easy. Ok....not as good for handlining as big mono.

Do you mean that you do not like the fact that line does not break? If you are fishing rock structure and the line does not break....does that mean that you haul up boulders or do you just give up and leave your rod and reel by the side of the lake and go home?

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine :sarcasm:

Thank you for all the quality replies to the rest of us cavemen :sarcasm:

I generally pick the boulders up, but after doing my fair share of quarryesque labour, I generally decide to leave my avid and stradic in the lake and go pay the $400 for a new setup. I guess my knots are just TOO good.