Salmon Tips

Guest LivingLegend

Guest LivingLegend

I was thinking of heading to 50pt in my fishing yak and dropping my lines down. Not familiar with Salmon fishing and was wondering whats good to use and at what depth is best. Heard just spoons work well.............

With my experience salmon are a VERY easy fish to catch. If you're new with it dont get all caught up in the complicated set-ups. Stick to spoons, rapala's and even inline spinners. For a spoon you wanna primarily go with a little cleo about 3/4oz. green/silver, blue/silver, whatever colour, they've all worked equally the same for me. Alot of my success comes from using the orange/white 3/4oz glow in the dark cleo just before last light. But this is also up in northern ontario. Oh there's also buzz bombs and im not sure if they're sold where you live or what lure selection they're classified under, but they work just as well as spoons.... if not better. I've never used a buzz bomb myself but i've seen first hand how deadly they can be.

Good luck!!

JP

Guest LivingLegend

With my experience salmon are a VERY easy fish to catch. If you're new with it dont get all caught up in the complicated set-ups. Stick to spoons, rapala's and even inline spinners. For a spoon you wanna primarily go with a little cleo about 3/4oz. green/silver, blue/silver, whatever colour, they've all worked equally the same for me. Alot of my success comes from using the orange/white 3/4oz glow in the dark cleo just before last light. But this is also up in northern ontario. Oh there's also buzz bombs and im not sure if they're sold where you live or what lure selection they're classified under, but they work just as well as spoons.... if not better. I've never used a buzz bomb myself but i've seen first hand how deadly they can be.

Good luck!!

JP

Thanx JP, will look into those spoons for sure!

If your looking for derby fish, stay in under 100 FTW. In a Yak you say, sounds like fun. Just make sure you tell someone were your at, don't take chances. Try staying close to other boats in close just encase you get in trouble. Spoons do work and deep diving body baits. I can't visual a rigger on a Yak. I'd love to see your setup. Fish out past the rifle range 75 to 100 FTW. down 35 to 50 is a good start, early or late in the day is a must. Man, Id like to see you get a screamer in a yak :clapping::w00t: Hang on bud your going for a ride. Just be careful out there. Carry a Cel with you. tell the girl at the gate your plans and get there phone # also tell a few of the old boys that sit at the picnic table playing cards sometime if there. They're over by the bigger boats geared up with riggers. If you see the wind start to kick, get off. If I'm there, I'll keep an eye or ear on you,if you see a blue and white Princecraft come and ask me for my cel # Names Dave (Flipper) or Fish Farmer.

Guest LivingLegend

If your looking for derby fish, stay in under 100 FTW. In a Yak you say, sounds like fun. Just make sure you tell someone were your at, don't take chances. Try staying close to other boats in close just encase you get in trouble. Spoons do work and deep diving body baits. I can't visual a rigger on a Yak. I'd love to see your setup. Fish out past the rifle range 75 to 100 FTW. down 35 to 50 is a good start, early or late in the day is a must. Man, Id like to see you get a screamer in a yak clapping.gifw00t.gif Hang on bud your going for a ride. Just be careful out there. Carry a Cel with you. tell the girl at the gate your plans and get there phone # also tell a few of the old boys that sit at the picnic table playing cards sometime if there. They're over by the bigger boats geared up with riggers. If you see the wind start to kick, get off. If I'm there, I'll keep an eye or ear on you,if you see a blue and white Princecraft come and ask me for my cel # Names Dave (Flipper) or Fish Farmer.

Thanx for t he info Dave! Now as for the down riggers, that I dont have. I was just going to use use my scotty trolling rod holders with the set up that I have on the yak, drop the lines down and troll with my 30lb trolling motor I assembled recently. Its similar to my profile pic. I always bring my cell and i have a safe kit in the yak.

Wish my luck and thanx again!

Guest LivingLegend

Set yourself up with a couple Torpedo Divers and you're good to go! They'll put you into your desired depth without the drag of dipsy divers.

http://www.torpedodivers.com/

Thats a intertesting set up, can you getthis at fishing world or just order them from the website?

Guest LivingLegend

Lil' cleos fluttering in moving water have never let me down for the salmon in the marys'

I will hook myself up with these too, thanx!