The Age of Stupid

laszlo

What are your thoughts on it?

I found it to be interesting. Must admit to feeling as if we are very 'stupid' overall as a race but seem to view ourselves as the opposite.

No question the major point made in the film,(which is to no longer depend on oil for energy) is a must. Can this be done quickly, I don't think so. Over the next 50 years...I think it can be done.

Have you seen it?

Edited by laszlo

Humans are the only species that has the luxury of being stupid, in any other species it's a pretty quick death sentence. And it has nothing to do with intelligence. Most people are just as intelligent as anyone else in terms of raw brain power, but due to factors such as ignorance (willful or otherwise) they do stupid things. It's also a part of our evolutionary heritage that we are cursed with thinking primarily about the 'here and now', with the immediate future second, and the distant future as something we aren't hard-wired to concern ourselves with. So we naturally carry on abusing the environment because it makes us rich today, or provides us with more food than we can use, and makes us immediately happy. It's only recently in our species' existence that we have been able to amass the collective knowledge to warn us about the consequences. It remains to be seen if we gain the collective wisdom to recognize problems and deal with them.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I haven't seen the documentary.

Edited by Dave Bailey