Pigeon Lake

Heading to Elim Lodge for a week with our family. We may get out fishing a couple of times and I wondered if anyone had any general fishing advice? Last year we got a few crappie and a very few bass, and the kids caught lots of panfish, but I'm wondering which area we should focus on for Muskie? A few people would troll on and off in the little bay the resort is located in (southern end) but I didn't see any fish caught.

We caught one 18lber at the southern tip of the big island, but that was in Sept.

Anyways, if you're familiar I'm happy for some input to make our couple of outings as productive as we can.

Thanks, stay cool today.

Kevin

PS -- obviously a PM is great if you'd rather not broadcast your thoughts.

troll up and down the weedline beside the marina, thats where i caught my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd muskies. If you can't stand in the net with the rim up to your shoulders its not bug enough lol

Edited by stubbex

A muskie can be released at the side of the boat without removing it from the water, so a net isn't always required. The message is not to take the fish out of the water and have it flop all over the place while removing the hooks. Yes, the net definitely makes life easier, but isn't mandatory. Have a good set of pliers and cutters handy. Using spinner baits with a single hook makes them very easy to release. Now if you plan on using a 9"-12" plug with 3 trebles, you should use a muskie net or cradle (much safer for you). This heat will have an impact on how fast you can release a muskie so take your time once you get the hooks removed, so the fish can recover and swim off on its own steam. There are probably plenty of videos on the internet that can assist anyone that wants to learn the proper way of releasing a muskie. Check out Muskies Canada website.

Just put in a lot of time. Try trolling the weedlines, slow down and cast the same weedlines and try to get out on the water when the boats are at a minimum. The west side of Big Island is a great spot, so is the point off of Camp Maple Leaf.

I stay at Camp Ashtabula not far from Elim and we've caught musky right off their docks. When it gets windy we hide in the Blind channel just past Elim because it is slightly protected from most west winds. Try some spinnerbaits in that area and you'll catch everything from bass to walleye to musky. Just watch out for all the boats dragging kids on innertubes and waterskis.