Fishing with CPGUY

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Got out Friday with CPGUY for some bucket fishing. Early start, we head out for his milk run. It produced 2 small bass and a few blow ups on CPguy's spinner bait. I was working a fluke. Nothing. We tried a few more areas. With no luck at all. I told him lets go to a deep weed edge for some pics so I could rip the bucktail. Stayed for about 20 minutes with no luck.Went to another weedline 20 minutes. No luck. It was about 4-5 hours later and the smell of skunk was starting to linger.lol With only one rockbass on a jig and pig to show. It was supposed to be 5K winds but it was more like 15-20K.

I decided to make a suggestion. So we head over there and sure enough?The bass were in thick. We'd cast and you could see the boils. We caught quite a few bass, and lost 2-3 X's more in the heavy cover. I brought the wrong rod. I brought a 6 foot rod with 8lb test and a spinning reel with a slow gear ratio. Couldn't move the fish out of the cover fast enough. Never the less, after I lost a few fish, I tightened the drag all the way and when I set the hook I'd giver. After that didn't lose as much.

I need to pick up a new baitcaster(with a high gear ratio) with a good stiff rod(preferably Musky rod if I can afford it) 7-8 feet and some 20-30lb braided line, for working heavy cover.

Unfortunately. About 1/2 hour after we find the fish. The trolling motor dies and we had to paddle our way around the heavy cover. Still caught fish but we couldn't cover as much water.

Call it a day around 4pm. Great seeing Jeff again and great fishing for bass again. We'll get the big girls next time.

Here is the 2 fish of the day. I caught the biggest fish and CPGUY caught the most.

Sparrowsucks003.jpg

Sparrowsucks004.jpg

I also lost my shirt on the lake. The one that says shut up and fish. Oh well, I had outgrown it and it was all stained.lol

Edited by Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Oh, I'd like to add one thing. Apparently a cold front had moved in. The water was 66 degrees when we started fishing and 75 degrees when we were nailing them, so dont know if we were at the right place at the right time or it was the fact that the water was heating up. Anyways, if fishing for bass? look for high water temperatures. If its high, chances are the fish will be there.