Bass Opener

g_clot

I was at Mountsberg for my first time to do some shore fishing on Sunday at 7:30am. Waited outside the park entrance (which opened at 8:30) getting everything rigged. I didn't realize there was another entrance. When park security arrived to open the gates they recommended the other location around the bend, over the hill and enter on the left. I drove by 3 times and couldn't find the freakin' entrance but did see a couple guys fishing from a little bridge along the way.

So I pulled over and started casting. They were using live bait on bobbers, and apparently had a few pike earlier in the morning. I started with poppers from both sides of the bridge for about 30 minutes. Nothing. They all took off about then time to catch the England/Germany game. I stayed and tried the jig'n'pig for another 30 minutes.... nothing. Next I pulled out the jitterbug and took a few casts... you guessed it, nothing. I went to make a cast under the bridge and the lure just barely knicked the side of it and caused the hooks to snap off.

So far... nothing and a broken jitter bug.

I went for the black and red 1/2 oz. spinnerbait and gave a few casts, nothing. On my 4th cast it got hung on an underwater branch and I couldn't jiggle it free. Using 10lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid I figured I give one good pull to try to yank it free. What do you know, it snaps my 2-piece St. Croix Avid Spinnig rod in 3 pieces and the line didn't even snap.

A few expletives later and I was on the road home 2 hrs after wetting my line. 1 broken lure, 1 lost lure and broken rod.

This was my first time using the St. Croix (off-season purchase) and hopefully the lifetime warranty will upheld, as I'm sure I did not abuse it.

Glad to hear others had good luck, it keeps my spirits alive for my trip to Moon River over the long weekend!

Cheers

Hello Again Rigged,

Here's what I'd do with your rod. I'd first take it back to the tackle shop where I purchased it and ask them if they send away for warranty. If you send it in personally it will cost you $25 (and it might at the tackle shop too, but it is usually a little cheaper). Also, it looks better having a tackle shop return it than having "Joe Blow" return it (no offense). Since it broke on its first use I suspect that it may have either received some abuse in the store or been manufactured with flaws (depending how you were handling it in the snag). They will look at where it broke and judge it by that. You will almost guaranteed receive a new rod. It will take about 5-6 weeks. Be sure to ask the tackle shop when they plan on shipping it (sometimes they wait for 5-10 rods, so if you're number 1, it may be too long).

Hope that helps.

Ryan

Hello Again Rigged,

Here's what I'd do with your rod. I'd first take it back to the tackle shop where I purchased it and ask them if they send away for warranty. If you send it in personally it will cost you $25 (and it might at the tackle shop too, but it is usually a little cheaper). Also, it looks better having a tackle shop return it than having "Joe Blow" return it (no offense). Since it broke on its first use I suspect that it may have either received some abuse in the store or been manufactured with flaws (depending how you were handling it in the snag). They will look at where it broke and judge it by that. You will almost guaranteed receive a new rod. It will take about 5-6 weeks. Be sure to ask the tackle shop when they plan on shipping it (sometimes they wait for 5-10 rods, so if you're number 1, it may be too long).

Hope that helps.

Ryan

Thanks for the advice Ryan - I actually purchased it online at BassPro, so I'll try contacting them for an in-store exchange if possible. Unfortunately since the purchase is well beyond 90 days I doubt I'll get much out of them, but as always you don't get if you don't ask.

Otherwise, I just called St. Croix customer service and gave him the basic story and he said to send it in and that they'll waive the return shipping since it was a "first time out" scenario.

Thanks for the advice Ryan - I actually purchased it online at BassPro, so I'll try contacting them for an in-store exchange if possible. Unfortunately since the purchase is well beyond 90 days I doubt I'll get much out of them, but as always you don't get if you don't ask.

Otherwise, I just called St. Croix customer service and gave him the basic story and he said to send it in and that they'll waive the return shipping since it was a "first time out" scenario.

No Problem Rigged,

That's the kind of customer service you can expect from a great company like St. Croix. I don't suspect they'll disappoint. Bass Pro on the otherhand . . . . meh, I'd still give it a shot, but I wouldn't hold your breath with them.