Buckhorn Lake/Buckhorn Narrows Tips

saspirilli

Hello all!

After hitting up Rice Lake for the past four years on our annual, casual guys fishing weekend, we are changing things up and will stay at Buckhorn Narrows on Buckhorn Lake this June 25 - 27th.

The main reason we moved locations is that this was the only weekend that worked for all, and by the time we had settled on a date it was way too late to try to book a place on Rice (we didn't realize at first that this was bass opener.

We don't have any sophisticated equipment, but have had some success on Rice in previous years. When we've ended up on the water later in the summer on overcast, choppy days we've tossed worms on bright coloured jig heads in the deeper waters and come up with some nice walleye. Last year we were earlier in the season and stuck to the weed beds on the north side of the lake and tossed plastics and real worms over top, and caught some very nice small and largemouth bass.

We know nothing about Buckhorn and there seems to be little info out there on the web or the boards. Should we expect pretty much the same structure and techniques as Rice, or is there a different/better strategy to employ?

I'd very much appreciate any feedback about the lake, successful techniques and presentations.

Josh

Depending on the type of boats you have, you'll have access to a ton of varied water and structure if you don't mind travelling. Chemong, Pigeon and even the Balds can all be accessed with no locking through. You can take the lock through to Lower Buckhorn or it's only a short drive to trailer the boat over there.

On Upper Buckhorn itself, the north end where you'll be is deeper and narrower, as you travel south, the lake widens and gets shallower with lots of islands and weedy back bays and channels between them.

Get a good map and enjoy.

Thanks Jer - we will be in the most basic of boats (tinnies and small outboards) as we're using the resort rentals. I don't think we'll be going large distances in those, so we are mostly interested in the areas reasonably close to the resort itself.

Much appreciated.

Stick to the shorelines and weedbeds. I would go after bass for most of the day, but maybe walleye in the low light conditions. Jigs and twisters are one of the favourites for walleye in the kawarthas, try wacky rigs for bass, nice and simple, but deadly. Also topwater plugs if it's calm for bass.

You will have your best walleye action around millfoil weeds.

I think that you will find that the water is much clearer on Buckhorn, than on Rice, making the walleyes tougher to catch.