rambling on because i have no pics or vids for this report

limeyangler

Hi gang,

Went out yesterday for a few hours of fishing. We were actually out for way longer but most of the time was spent carrying a 14' deep wide tinny some 400 meters through the bush to a lake, not an easy task given the rain we have been getting here, also the reason why I have no pics or video as I did not want to ruin another camera. Our efforts were definitely rewarded though, and we had ridiculous amounts of walleye within moments of arriving.

It was truly a day that makes me love being where I am even more than i already do. Being stuck under a stoopidly too big boat to be carrying through the bush with a good friend in the pouring rain, a young spruce tree half way up your nostrils, knee deep in a bog pretending to be a 'trail' unable to go any further because you are laughing to hard at the situation you find yourself in and then hit the motherload of walleye whilst watching moose feeding in the creek your fishing next to....AWESOME!

Like i said, the fishing was legendary. a fish a cast really. Once we hit the back end of the lake where the weeds were (cabbage) in about 8' FOW...game over...lol....not even fishing...just 'catching'.

Jigs and minnows were what we started off with, but the amount of minnows we were getting through catching small ones before we found the bigger guys we decided to start to use artificials. So much for gulp outfishing live bait. i have found this time and time again, particularly when walleye are involved.

They will bite it, but fished next to someone of similar fishing skill who is using live bait, the live bait wins hands down.

In fact...the artificial that worked best was an unflavoured/scented Mr. Twister brown/orange shad thumper tail. We decided that this was in part because that bait had a wider profile, and the wallleye were definitely liking the larger live minnows. I did try some Gulp1 thumper shads in dark blue/white silver but after sitting there for 10 minutes watching about 20 fish caught between live bait and Mr.twister i gave up. PS...the thumper part of Gulp! dont thump, they are out of shape...guess its due to the texture of the organic fish stuff they are made out of.

This is not meant to be a Gulp! bashing thread...just relaying what i have found to be the case time and again when using it next to live bait fishing for walleye. I actually like the product a lot, otherwise i would not carry it with me, absolutely nailed the smallies with it this spring....but i just dont agree with the 'outfishes live bait ' claim...as this is not my experience.

When we hit the wind swept bay, although it was 8'FOW you only had to drop your jig one or two feet below the surface, wait for a couple of seconds...and WHAM!...fish on. To actually watch a 23" walleye come up and swallow your bait right at the boat was a rush...sight fishing walleye is something I highly recommend!

I only wish I had my camera or had the literary skills of a freelance outdoors writer ( nods in Ben Beattie's direction) so i could have shared the experience more betterer like...anyway...days like yesterday for me are what living up here is all about.

Guest Johnny Bass

Great report, even without pictures. Live bait will outproduce gulp but where's the challenge in that?lol

I'm a meat(fish) eater now but still a sport fisherman also.

If the fishing is that good? That is when you truly have a chance to experiment with lures!