Best way to freeze minnows

johnt7

dump em live in a coffee tin with lots of pickling salt (table salt doesn't keep the color)

shake em around till they are fully covered and dead

I use a old net (dollorama) or a old hockey practice jersey and pour them onto it (use light egg crate to support them)

let em drip dry for 2 days (flip after day 1) then bag and freeze em

they work better then live (kinda sound like a gulp ad)

just remember they have a limit on them (120), gotta keep the bait dealers happy

I find salting is the best way. I just throw left over minnows in a zip lock bag with salt and leave in the garage overnight. Then pat dry with paper towel and place in another bag with fresh salt and throw them in the freezer.

When I had my bait shop I did pretty much what you did here but you don't have to freeze them, just refrigerate and they wouldn't get mushy and will keep for months. Also non iodine salt is best.

I'm not no expert on freezing minnows but one method I tried is. Separteing them while they are frozen so that they keep thier tails and fins in tact when its time to defrost them.

Get a peice of card board that will fit your freezer temporary depneding on the anount of minnows you have. Then put on a flat peice of plastic bag ontop of the cardboard. You'll be placing the minnows on the plastic make sure none of them are in contact with each other or they'll freeze together including the fins and tails leave them a bit wet. After placing them on the plastic separted.slid the cardboard and the plastic bag with the minnows into a freezer for about 30mins or so..just until they are stiff or frozen. (not freezer burned) Then take the entire thing out and roll the plastic with the fish in it. While rolling the plastic with the minnows on it.. the minnows should stay frozen to the plastic. This is ok. Just roll up the minnows they should stay separted as you roll the plastic. Then when you're done just keep them in the freezer. When you need it you can just unroll a bit of the plastic and the minnows should come off the plastic one by one with all its fins and tails in tack to be defrosted.

dsn