This weekends Pike adventure

I got a couple more pike in the 20-28 inch range this weekend,... lots of fun...

but this AM, i LOST TWO right at my feet ... well over 30 inches each

they literally stood on their tails and "walked" away while spitting the treble hooks right back at me.. :wallbash:

I had rigged up some 10 inch chubs with a hook through the bottom lip and a stinger hook between the lower fin and the tail.

This has worked fine for the others I caught except for these two

I even got one of the big buggers untangled from some exposed tree roots and was dragging him on to the muddy bank.

( no net with me ):wallbash:

How long should I play these things out for... it seems they play possum right to the shore and then KABOOM... they are outa here.... I don;t want to over work them either.

Any suggestions?

Splashhopper

Edited by splashhopper

I don't use Live Bait but when I set the hook their coming to the boat right away or not & I loose them, DON'T FORGET THE NET haha, lets get out some time when your up this way, as long as you forget your camera if you catch a bigger one than me & try to enter it for your Team lol

Richard

Make sure hooks are sharpened.

Also fishing live bait with lip hook and treble (or 2 hook) rear hook (higher rate of deeply hooked fish using this method from what I have experienced) noticed that I have to wait a while longer before I set the hook because the pike/muskie takes its time to reposition the sucker so that it can swallow it head first. If it "T boned" it the hooks may not be in a good position for hook setting. All I can suggest is wait a bit longer before you set the hook.

Edited by Syn

Make sure hooks are sharpened.

Also fishing live bait with lip hook and treble (or 2 hook) rear hook (higher rate of deeply hooked fish using this method from what I have experienced) noticed that I have to wait a while longer before I set the hook because the pike/muskie takes its time to reposition the sucker so that it can swallow it head first. If it "T boned" it the hooks may not be in a good position for hook setting. All I can suggest is wait a bit longer before you set the hook.

Interesting that you say they "re-position" the suckers when using this set up...

I was wondering why I lost FOUR suckers but only saw some light twitching on the float and didn't see it go under at all :unsure:

Interesting that you say they "re-position" the suckers when using this set up...

I was wondering why I lost FOUR suckers but only saw some light twitching on the float and didn't see it go under at all :unsure:

So many ways to rig live bait, from trebles in different places to using a bit of thick elastic over the front lip hook, to rigging the chub hooks backwards so that when the chub is in head first position ready to be swallowed the hooks are in the best position for hook setting. Also depends if you are using a bobber or not like the Europeans like to do.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=790