Lake Nipissing

phin#9

Hello everyone. I'm an interested observer from S.Ont. who has been a member since 07 doesn't post very often (1) but likes to catch and read about fishing in Ont. I very much enjoy OFC for all the information you all provide. Everything from bug reports to how to catch fish. Keep up the good work. I have been reading with interest about water depths on Lake Nipissing this season. Has anyone from any level of government come up with a solution to the problem this year or are they hoping the Noah theory kicks in.(rain for forty days and forty nights)I.ve been going up to Nipissing with my family for sixteen years and I realize water levels have fluctuated between high and low but this year low water levels seem to be extreme from what I'm reading and being told by friends who have cottages up there. It could be costly for the tourism industry if people can't launch boats or even swim .It could also be a dangerous year and expensive with skags and props being damaged and motors flying through the air!I'd be interested to hear what the camp operaters on the lake have to say about the low water and any solutions they or any of the so called paid experts who govern over such things might have.Thanks for the time and space and I will continue to read with interest.

French River & Lake Nipissing - Water Level & Flow Information

The water management partners, known as the Sturgeon-Nipissing-French-Wanapitei Water Management Group, and as overseen by the Sturgeon-Nipissing-French Citizens' Advisory Group, will continue to closely monitor the weather conditions and water levels in an attempt to minimize the impact of variable weather conditions and maximize the benefits to the fishery of the lake and river.

Lake Nipissing and French River

Recorded Water Level Forecast

The following is the water level forecast for Lake Nipissing and the French River as of Monday, May 17, 2010, as provided by Public Works and Government Services Canada. The precipitation for May, as of May 17, is 49% of the monthly average. The inflows into the lake are currently below the long-term average inflow.

Lake Nipissing

Caution: Low Lake Level Due to Extremely Dry Winter.

As of May 17, 2010 the water level elevation of Lake Nipissing was 195.25 metres. The lake level is 58 centimetres below the long-term average. The lake level is expected to be stable during the next few days. Further change in the lake level is dependent on the amount of inflows and precipitation.

French River

Caution: Low River Levels Due to Extremely Dry Winter.

At Dry Pine Bay, the river level on May 17, 2010 was 180.43 metres, which corresponds to a flow of 49 cubic metres per second. The river level is 120 centimetres below the long-term average, which corresponds to a flow of 211 cubic metres per second below the long-term average. The river is expected to be stable during the next few days. Further change in the river levels will be dependent on the amount of inflows and precipitation.

The next update will be on Tuesday, May 25, 2010.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please call Phil Hall of the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources in North Bay at 705-475-5605