Carrying a tinnie on the roof of a van ?

You don't remember Splash!

6095_119570541579_502461579_2911432_4356562_n.jpg

6095_119571791579_502461579_2911499_5418354_n.jpg

:whistling:

Yep.. i remember seeing that and thought...." i am pretty sure that ISN'T the way to carry a boat on the roof"...

But dutchy and were sure glad that RichB offer that tinnie up for us and Ryan brought it over for the tournament.

Speaking of RichB.... where the heck is he ? :dunno:

Or, is there another way of doing this?

Pictures would help too.

Thanks again.

Splashhopper

Have been throwing a 12 ft. on top of a Caravan for over 20 yrs. Really makes most lakes accesible.

Hopefully the pictures will help.

First you have to buy about 5 of the largest, widest styro noodles available at Rona or CTC.

Cut one straight line lenghthwise down four of the noodles then attach them to the boat.

With a decently strong person at each end of the boat it can be hoisted on to roof.

IMG_0001-11.jpg

Also need to get the strongest, largest, long racheted strap available at CTC and get it around the boat and vehicle.

Now you can attach and tighten strap.

IMG_0004-12.jpg

Cutting a flat section of the noodle and sliding it down the the strap on both sides of windows

helps to further tighten and stops the strap from fluttering against window etc...

Padding behind the ratchet also prevents scratching of paint and other things

IMG_0005-13.jpg

Underneath, need to use folded cloth as the sharpness of metal there wiil cut through styro and strap.

IMG_0003-10.jpg

Need to tie front of boat by opening hood and feeding quality rope around motor mount. From underneath pull both ends across hood, one end through some attachment on very front of boat then knot and secure.

IMG_0007-7.jpg

Have done this hundreds of times and feel safer than trailering.

Hope this helps!

Have been throwing a 12 ft. on top of a Caravan for over 20 yrs. Really makes most lakes accesible.

Hopefully the pictures will help.

First you have to buy about 5 of the largest, widest styro noodles available at Rona or CTC.

Cut one straight line lenghthwise down four of the noodles then attach them to the boat.

With a decently strong person at each end of the boat it can be hoisted on to roof.

IMG_0001-11.jpg

Also need to get the strongest, largest, long racheted strap available at CTC and get it around the boat and vehicle.

Now you can attach and tighten strap.

IMG_0004-12.jpg

Cutting a flat section of the noodle and sliding it down the the strap on both sides of windows

helps to further tighten and stops the strap from fluttering against window etc...

Padding behind the ratchet also prevents scratching of paint and other things

IMG_0005-13.jpg

Underneath, need to use folded cloth as the sharpness of metal there wiil cut through styro and strap.

IMG_0003-10.jpg

Need to tie front of boat by opening hood and feeding quality rope around motor mount. From underneath pull both ends across hood, one end through some attachment on very front of boat then knot and secure.

IMG_0007-7.jpg

Have done this hundreds of times and feel safer than trailering.

Hope this helps!

Hey Thanks bro.... :clapping: That took some effort... I appreciate it.

What about the stern of the boat? Did you tie it to the back of the van too?

Don't need to tie the back of boat as long as you get the big ratchet strap, tie the front well, and use the largest noodles.

Had to drill the main frame underneath a little to hook the strap secure. Hooking near the end of leaf springs didn't sit well with me.

Everything outlined needs to be done for this to work efficiently

This method should work for most mini-vans/SUV's. :canadian:

Edited by ehg

I have seen people use the plastic tie raps to secure steel pipes to roof racks to widen them. Large tie wraps should work for 2x4's or 2x2's. Just cut them off when you are done.

That sounds pretty simple too. I am all for "keeping it simple".

Thanks

I have seen people use the plastic tie raps to secure steel pipes to roof racks to widen them. Large tie wraps should work for 2x4's or 2x2's. Just cut them off when you are done.

Ya, good luck with that?! Have tried many different things(including above). When flying down a 400 series of highway to travel a few hours for good fishing, the way i outlined is only way to go, without trailer. Takes about 5 minutes to do once you have a couple of cheap investments. Geez, have fairly severe MS and still pull this off.

Last weekend we carried my 12 ft. aluminum tank in to a lake near Apsley while my brother in law drove his XL7 down the trail with the canoe on top.

Needless to say, a 3/4 mile hike down a snow mobile trail I wouldn't take my two wheel drive pickup down was a pain in the neck.

We didn't want to carry it back out, so we strapped the paddles to the luggage rack, loaded the boat and ratcheted down the front, back and one around the middle and it went fine. Actually held on better than the canoe. I'd go 2x4 though, the oars were a little too wide and hit a couple of trees, haah.

Hey Thanks bro.... :clapping: That took some effort... I appreciate it.

What about the stern of the boat? Did you tie it to the back of the van too?