First Spring Algonquin Trip

atvaholic

Well After Many Years, I finally decided to go up to algonquin for a spring fishing trip. None in my party of 4 are avid outdoorsmen, so we decided to keep the portaging to a minimum. I hauled my tent camper up to set up a base camp then we set out each day on short portages. The first day, we woke up at 5 am, made breakfast and headed out. We put our canoe in the first lake at 6:30 am. I haven't been in a canoe since I was 16 so I was a little nervous. The guy in the front was on the rowing team, so I let him take the lead.

So we have 2 canoes with 2 guys each. We are way in the lead as my canoe had the experienced rower on it. The two guys in the back canoe were going every which direction, so there was alot of ball busting going on. Since we had a comfortable lead, we decided to pull up to a nice sandy area on an island and wait for them. We paddle towards shore increasing speed...then all of a sudden...BANG! We hit a rock we didnt see that was below the surface and went right in the lake!! Now the two guys behind us are hunched over in laughter!!! My GPS and fishing rod are at the bottom of the lake, buddies camera was secured to the canoe but was soaked....Uggg. I was floating in the lake, by buddy was near the rock, so he was only in up to his hip...I was drenched head to toe.

Damn, that water was cold!!! I retreived my GPS (it was still ON!) and fishing rod and made my way to shore. I laid my clothes out to dry and waited as I had a snack. I put on my spare clothes and we set off again...we made it to our destination with no more issues.

We made it to our destination and started fishing. I have a few pictures with my crappy camera as my buddies is out of commission :-(

1. Saw a total of 8 of these

IMG_3152.jpg

2. Me and the boys enjoying a nice stiff drink as we fish

IMG_3142.jpg

3. Finally!! I got a decent one!!

IMG_3146.jpg

4. A days Catch! A few small ones swallowed the hooks :-(

IMG_3143.jpg

So i'd like to thank the few on this board who helped me out by posting their adventures and also for the advice..

A few lessons learned:

1. Garmin GPS really are waterproof!! :clapping:

2. Camera's are not :oops:

3. The only time on your trip you see two cute girls going by in a canoe, your buck naked on shore trying to dry your clothes. I'm sorry for scaring you, ladies.... :whistling:

4. Canoes really do suck. Even before the incident, the damn thing was as tipsy as I have seen..it will take awhile before I get back into one.

5. There is always one buddy who will take cell phone pictures of you when your changing your clothes and naked, without your knowledge :huh:

6. There really is nothing like catching brook trout(even if they are small) in a remote lake with your buddies :Gonefishing: