Reel Maintenance

BabyHerc

Spring is around the corner and, although I've brought them in to be serviced before, I've decided to do it myself this season. My Daiwa spinning reels have stainless steel and felt washers, which are fairly dirty. I'm wondering if a simple cloth wipe-down is fine for the felt, and if felt and stainless drag washers should be greased?

Also, to all who do their own servicing, is it a terrible idea to disassemble the reel body to clean the spool shaft within? I unfortunately do not have reel schematics, though I have e-mailed Daiwa for a copy.

Yes, just wipe them down, clean out any gunk. Lube the gears and shafts though.

And, for schematics, go to:

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/

Lots of schematics for many manufacturers there.

You should have a reel schematic for Daiwa when you bought the reel, unless it was bought second hand. Every Daiwa reel I have bought came with a schematic, and part number sheet.

Thanks TJSA for the link. My reels did come with the schematic sheet, but that was about 5 years ago, and they have since been misplaced. So no grease on the drag washers?

edit: hmmmmm, dead link. Maybe he shut the site down? I'll keep trying anyway.

Edited by BabyHerc

Thanks TJSA for the link. My reels did come with the schematic sheet, but that was about 5 years ago, and they have since been misplaced. So no grease on the drag washers?

:oops: Sorry, but this is the first post in the new format. I thought that I had at least a slight grasp on posting in messageboards, but for the life of me I could not the place to enter my comments. There certainly are a bunch of options available for formatting the text, however, and I can only believe that with choices come complexity. My choice to marry my wife added complexity to my life, so I guess that proves the theory. :P

If this is the place, I am truly amazed at my lucky guess. Perhaps the lottery is is order.

Now to my extemely anemic post: I tried the link and it worked. :thumbsup_anim: Sorry that you had to suffer through the rest of this.

Roy

Edited by oldschool

He might of... must of ran into hard times. Can't imagine why though, he took my payment and never sent my parts. No returned phone calls or emails. I guess he needed the money more than I did.

In the mean time if you're looking for schematics, try:

The Reel Doctor

-Brian