A buck and a hen.....trout opener again

rock34

So, trout opener was here again! Much like for many, this is my adult life "christmas eve". This year my younger brother and I were going to head out in search of some steel. Him and I are relatively expereinced steelheaders but we never really have any GREAT days with big numbers when were together, one or two fish days seem to be the norm for us. As always, we were looking for one of those crazy days where everything just works.

Much like many steelheaders that dont have a "secret spot" we were tossing back and forth all week where we should go. With all the low and clear water it made the decision tough as we thought that our regular spot would not hold many fish.

Saturday morning started at 3am. The Trib we decided to fish was not our reguar location and was 2.5-3hrs away. Lunches packed, a quick stop at timmies and we were on our way. There was no way werent going to be prepared. We had roe tied in all colours and sizes, dew worms, pink worms, jigs, flies, and of course confidence!

We arrived a little later then we would have hoped but we just miss timed sun up I guess.

Our weapons for the day

IMGP0120.jpg

The 20min walk to the pool we were targeting had us pass a number of fisherman and was making us nervous that our target location would be taken.....but when we got there it was not and it was looking good!

IMGP0082.jpg

I started my day with roe and Jon with worms. On Jon's second drift, BOOM...fish on. Too bad it was a sucker. New worm on and next drift, BOOM...this time it was a small steelhead. A good start to the morning.

IMGP0084.jpg

This was enough to convince me to switch to worms only a few drifts in. Right away I found this beauty.

IMGP0087.jpg

The excitement settled down from a little flurry of action there to start the day and before you know it a couple drifts later I was into another fish. This time though it was a SM Bass!

IMGP0089.jpg

We landed 10-12 (and lost another 5+) SM bass throuhout the day and this was honestly the smallest one. It was crazy. On worms, pink worms and roe....they didnt care. As I mentoined in a reply yeterday, its funny how we didnt care about these 3-4lb bass at all and they were actually considered annoying on this day. If we had been targeting bass it would have been an amazing day! Check out these hogs.

IMGP0091.jpg

IMGP0094.jpg

IMGP0118.jpg

Not only was the Bass fishing good. So was the Steelheading. Here are some more pics from the day:

IMGP0105.jpg

IMGP0104.jpg

IMGP0113.jpg

IMGP0116.jpg

IMGP0107.jpg

IMGP0098.jpg

IMGP0101.jpg

As you can tell, we had a great day and an incredibly fun opener. It was one of those days where we seemed to be the only guys out there consistently catching fish and the river was VERY busy. Keeping our excitement quiet at times was difficult.

Around 4pm we were both dead and ready for our 3hr drive home. Back into the truck and on our way home. We were talking about how well we did and how great of a day it was and how Sunday was supposed to rain so we were just going to be satisfied with our day on Saturday and sleep in sundat morning :sleeping_02: . Then I get a call from my buddy who fished our regular opener creek and he did amazing!! He actually outfished us by himself....well guess what we were doing Sunday :Gonefishing:

DAY 2

Up at 4:30 AM this day as our drive is only about 45min this time around! This type of fishing is a lot differenet then the big river fishing that we were doing the day before. This is pocket fishng at its best.

We met up with our buddy who fished here the day before and we were off. I havent asked him if I can post pics of him so I will only show pics without his face....but trust me he was on fire. We also ran out of camera battery half way through taking a picture of our first ever double header. Here are some pics of these beauty fish, with the rain falling hard at times not all of the pics turned out great.

The day started with a quick fish by my buddy

IMGP0123.jpg

After I had broke a fish off I managed to land a scratched up male

IMGP0125.jpg

I must say that for Jon this was a tough day. He not only had to re-tie at least 10 times from snags in trees and rocks, around 10am his reel managed to wind a bunch of line up inside of it and without the proper screwdriver to take the reel apart, his day finished early without a fish. As a true fisherman would though he just helped the two of us land fish the rest of the morning. Here are some more pics.

IMGP0130.jpg

IMGP0133.jpg

IMGP0126.jpg

Im not sure whats with my face in this one...lol

IMGP0139.jpg

IMGP0135.jpg

IMGP0141.jpg

This is the last picture that the camera would take that day :( just moments away from taking a picture of our first ever double heder together after fishing together for 2 years. We finished the day from 6am-11am going 14/21 and this was slow compared to the day my buddy had on Saturday.

IMGP0143.jpg

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I know there are a lot of "opener" posts out there. I hope you enjoyed and I sure know that I did!!

Till next time.

Edited by Rock

it looks like solopaddler is gonna have some competition on this board with this young buck and his success... some of his poses even look the same!

:whistling:

Ha ha, thats a good one. Trust me, Solopaddler has nothing to worry about. I got lucky this weekend. He does this and better on a regular basis. His advice had a lot to do with our success this weekend.....thanks Mike!

I must admit though, I did steel a few picture poses from him, they are cool! B)