Ideas for fixing up an aluminum boat!

TC1OZ

I have the exact same boat. Here's what I used to rebuild my Transom. Cost me about $40.00. I got the plastic from a place that sell cutlery and Restaurant eqipment. It's the plastic that they sell fro cutting boards. they ussually have different thickness and they cut them to your specs.

P3210002.jpg

P3210001.jpg

I have the exact same boat. Here's what I used to rebuild my Transom. Cost me about $40.00. I got the plastic from a place that sell cutlery and Restaurant eqipment. It's the plastic that they sell fro cutting boards. they ussually have different thickness and they cut them to your specs.

Wow. Good idea. No wood rot there!

Feel free to PM me the place for the plastic (I'll use them if they aren't too far out of the way).

I bought a 14.5 foot Springbok last year. I bought the boat motor and trailer for $1000 then dropped approx $1000 into it.

My grandpa and I totally tore the bought down to the bare aluminum. I used Tal-strip II and took all the paint off. once we got to that point. I used a product from down south. The name is not coming to me at the moment. But its used on air boats, it basicly seaps into all the rivets and seams on the boat and seals it completely. Then it turns rock hard and protects your aluminum from rocks and sand etc.

Once we finished that she was flipped over and put back on the trailer. I replaced the transom with maple and water sealed it with 3 coats.

I then turned my focus on turning my boat into a bass fishing machine ! haha well not quite a machine... but it did the job VERY WELL !!!!! We built flooring for the middle and front of the boat. The front was raised higher for a "semi" casting deck, I didnt want to go to high above the water line to try and keep the center of gravity down . I used 2x2's for the bracing and 3/4" ply for the flooring. I tried 1/2 inch, but I must be a fat ass cause there was alot of flex to it. The 3/4 was sturdy as ever ! Once the floors had been cut and put together... we sealed them, then covered them in that indoor/outdoor carpet they sell for around pools n such at Home Depot.

Also, I replaced all the wood on top of the benches with 1/2" ply then sealed and carpeted them as well !! Both floors can be removed for cleaning or for whatever reason !

We then mounted the bow mount trolling motor and fish finder and it did the Job GREAT !!!

Now my suggestions to you.... Dont waste time on the outside of the boat to much.... focus on gettin it set up to fish out of, if your on a budget. Paint, Stripper, tools, supplies, etc... will eat up your budget pretty quick !

Take care of the leaks, if there are any. But dont waste to much time... fix what you can and if it still leaks a bit... Its a TINNY... what do you expect !

I would put the casting deck in and maybe a floor in the middle for your partner to fish on... but other then that.... have fun with it and dont drop to much money into it !If you have any questions or anything, just shoot me a PM !!!!!

I used a product from down south. The name is not coming to me at the moment. But its used on air boats, it basicly seaps into all the rivets and seams on the boat and seals it completely. Then it turns rock hard and protects your aluminum from rocks and sand etc.

If you have any questions or anything, just shoot me a PM !!!!!

WOW! Thanks for all the information Lunker! I'm going to PM you to put your thinking cap on and get me a name of this product!

(I edited your post to refrain for re-posting a wall of text lol)

I'd like to thank Lunker777 for a very informative PM.

He also remembered the name of the product for sealing the boat if there are any leaks.

The product is called "Steelflex" by Fasco Unlimited.

Picking up the boat tomorrow (unless the guy comes to get my car this afternoon and I can get to st. catharines) and I will be tossing it in the water to see if its leaking.

I will update with pics. Thanks for all the help guys!